NO NID? connecting phone wires together for house phone.

Old 08-03-13, 12:02 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy NO NID? connecting phone wires together for house phone.

So, we just built a new house and there is no NID box?!?! my electrician pointed me to a box in my laundry room where there are a whole bunch of telephone wires that come out, with no plastic connectors on the end. They are just loose telephone wires. (you can look in the end of the wire and see blue/orange/brown/and green wires with some soft clear ones) Now, I have vonage and I plugged in my phones, the phone says "check telephone line." So, the electrician said to cut each telephone wire open and strip the colors-connecting each one together. (so there are 5 and he said to put orange with orange, blue with blue etc). But there are actually 8 wires. ..

so 1 gray telephone wire has
an orange, a white with orange marks
a blue, a white with blue marks
a brown, a white with brown marks
and a green with a white with green marks

If I actually strip the wires and connect them all together-will this make my house phones work? REALLY CONFUSED!?

Old 08-03-13, 12:42 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
First things first. You have a brand new house. Have you contacted the telephone company and subscribed to their service? They would normally run wiring from the street and then they would place the NID.

Old 08-03-13, 01:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree with Goldstar. If you haven't subscribed to a hardwired telephone service there would be no reason to have a NID installed, and they certainly wouldn't do it unless you subscribed.

Old 08-03-13, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Sounds more like a pre-wired alarm system to me. Especially when you say "a whole bunch" and describe the cables. Standard for an alarm system to run all cables back to the central point....not standard for telephone at all.

What does the contract say? Pre-wired for phone (how many jacks?), pre-wired for alarm, cable outlets where?

Old 08-03-13, 03:56 PM
A
No, I didn't subscribe to one. That solves that! I have vonage, so its VOIP, I'm not too electrical/tech savvy, but, it connects through my internet correct? Its a custom home just completed 4 weeks ago. The electrician doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. He said there are 5 telephone ports in the house and all the wires run to the control panel in the laundry room. When I open it up, there are the cable wires for the TV, screwed into splitters, and the 5 gray telephone wires I described earlier (which im guessing are wired to each of the ports in the house). There is a gray box outside the house under the electrical panel that says "telephone" but when you open it up, theres nothing in it! Its just open to the frame of the house. Our alarm system works through the internet as well. So this whole phone thing is very confusing. Hmmm...

Old 08-03-13, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
Have you met the alarm installer ? He would probably know more about the phone connections than the electrician.

Most electricians I've run across are pre-wiring houses with several telephone/network cables and cable to several locations. Those wires end up in one location and then get connected as needed. This service is provided on "spec" houses. Usually once a homeowner gets involved in the building stages the amount of cabling goes up.

One easy way to get up and running is go to the splice location. For now....connect all five pairs of the blue/white lines together and all five pairs of the orange/white lines together. So you would end up with four separate splices. Blue/white - white/blue - orange/white - white/orange.

Fire up vonage and plug it into the nearest wall jack. It will now appear at all wall jacks.

Old 08-03-13, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Sorry I missed the 5 cable thing. Alarms would have more than 5 normally. I'm not sure of Vonage connections, but what PJ says makes sense to me. You'll need a bunch of little wire nuts.

Old 08-03-13, 07:31 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Anything like a computer or your alarm generally connects to the internet through a cable company, telephone company or satellite internet service.

Old 08-04-13, 05:20 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you're getting your telephone service through Vonage, the VOIP phone must be connected to a port on the internet modem/router.

The house telephone wiring has nothing to do with it. Even if you had the local telephone service activated and it was present in an NID, the VOIP phone couldn't be connected to it.

Old 08-04-13, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
I was under the impression Vonage was up and running.

So at this point there isn't even an internet provider established ?

Once the internet is up and running the Vonage box can be sent thru the wiring to all locations.

Old 08-06-13, 07:18 PM
A
already have internet..

Internet is up and running, phones are plugged in, vonage is all set up, but the phone is displaying the message "Check tel line."

yes-PJ- I think thats what the electrician was telling me to do. I'll have to give this a try and see how it goes. Thank you everyone!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: