Landline question; dial tone in "background"

Old 03-11-14, 05:50 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Landline question; dial tone in "background"

If i call our landline, on both ends you can hear the dial tone after answering the phone. If you listen you can then hear the 3 high pitched beeps you normally get when you call a non-existent number and even the message "we're sorry, your call cannot be completed as dialed" I think is what he is saying. Although you can still make out the voice on the other end but it's very weak, almost unuseable. I looked over our wiring and seems OK. Phone man should be coming Friday, he will do an external check. Seems like a phone Co problem to me, or could this be a house wiring problem? Have tried a few different things to isolate the cause inside the house and sure can't find a reason for it inside.

Old 03-11-14, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,326 Votes on 1,225 Posts
It's a phone company problem. It's called crosstalk and usually occurs when there is water in the main phone trunk lines. You're hearing other phone lines that are next to yours in the cable bundle.

This is becoming a problem as most phone companies are trying to eliminate copper wiring and they don't like to run new cables to replace an outdated or defective one.

Just don't let them tell you it's in your house or it's normal.

Old 03-11-14, 06:03 PM
G
OK so even though I don't (think) I hear other people, and I hear this recorded message, that sounds like a crosstalk problem?

Old 03-11-14, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... you'll only hear loud things. People don't usually talk that loud.

Old 03-11-14, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Though I agree with the issue...simple check is to plug in a wired phone at the NID box outside and see if the problem still exists. If so...it's external to the house no doubt.

Old 03-12-14, 02:57 AM
G
Thanks, I am doing things, like usual, in the wrong order. i called for a service visit. I do have a bedroom phone which is hardwired. All the other phones in the house are a base/satellite setup, so only 2 phones are actually wired, one in bedroom and one base unit (plus about 3 satellites).
Anyways, if it's the phone co there isn't a charge, if they say it's the house it's $99 for the call.
If it wasn't for the mother in law in town we'd just dump landline, LOL

Old 03-12-14, 02:35 PM
G
I guess I verified it. We have a clock radio/phone which is corded, the phone works without power, didn't realize that. So took it out and did the outside test. Wasn't sure how to proceed, but what I did was take my cell while I was out there and called the house number, then picked up the receiver on the clock radio phone, and you can still hear the dial tone (on my cell or the landline phone receiver). At this point I would say it is as loud as picking up the landline and hearing the dial tone before you dial, it is that loud. Today I haven't noticed the background "3 beeps" and recorded voice, just the dial tone. Voice is also either very weak or being drowned out by the dial tone, also the voice does break up a bit too.

Old 03-12-14, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Yep..definitely on their side. You shouldn't have to pay for the service call. The NID box and everything before it in the ground or to the pole is their responsibility.

Old 03-12-14, 04:51 PM
You could try pulling out your jack plates and make sure only 2 wires (red and green, or a single colored pair if using cat5) and hooked up to the red and green terminals on the jack. If your jacks are jumpered between line 1 (red green) and line 2 (black yellow) because someone installed them wrong, this could cause your phone to double dial.
I'm moreso going to side with PJ though. Theres probably damage at the telco box and you're picking up on a different line.

Old 03-12-14, 05:00 PM
G
Oh in addition to the noise which makes it close to impossible to communicate, we are also getting calls. In general if we get a call on the landline it will be my mother in law. I did call her to explain the situation and she says she hasn't been calling. Could be telemarketers or something else I suppose. There have been a few real odd situations though where the phone rings once or twice, then just stops ringing???
Only reason I would discount the red and green wires being messed up is nothing really has changed until about 5 days or so ago when it started doing this.

Old 03-12-14, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Have you gotten a lot of rain out there recently ?

Old 03-12-14, 05:11 PM
G
Some, we are in WI so still cold but have had some good thaws lately and a little rain, so ground is getting wet due to the melting mostly.

Old 03-12-14, 07:20 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
IF you have a solid Internet connection then abandoning traditional "land line" service for a VoIP solution may be your best bet. I have been using VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) for years instead of a land line and I would NEVER go back to a traditional land line. For the first several years I used a "pay as you go" service and my monthly billing was usually less than $10. but then I didn't make a lot of calls. The downside was that it was for outgoing calls only. I now have an inward direct dial number that costs $6.99 a month and ALL incoming calls are free, I pay less than two cents a minute for outgoing calls only. If I could convince anyone to connect up with the same company then all calls between us would be free regardless of who initiated the calls.

Does your MIL have stable Internet service? It does not take a particularly fast service but it does need to be stable. DSL works fine in most cases. When I had a cable TV company Internet connection I had problems but since switching to the fiber optic system offered by the telephone company I have had no problems whatsoever.

Old 03-13-14, 03:00 AM
G
Long story short, our internet provider ticked us off immensely when we switch to what you are describing. Supposed to be free installation. Charged us for installation. Supposed to be a bundled price, actually less for internet, phone, and TV than we were paying without phone service, Cost much more with the phone service. Told them what we were promised (by offshore service rep), said they could not stand by that price (eventhough I had a record of the chat log to prove what i was promised). So if we could dump these guys we would, but don't want our house to look like a NASA outpost (dish). If some day ATT brings uverse to town we are so gone with cable. And no we won't go back to them for phone, we give them as little business as we can. THEN, and THEN, they didn't want to give them our old phone number back. Went from ATT to Charter no problem, then we want it to go back to ATT and nothing but a battle royal to get it back to ATT. OK long story long, LOL.

Old 03-15-14, 01:45 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
If I am correctly interpreting your post you went with a telephone solution offered by your ISP, correct? I would NEVER do that and there are a few good reasons not to. First and foremost you are then "married" to the ISP for the telephone service and changing can be a major hassle. Second, you are almost always required to use THEIR VoIP adapter and they set the rates on how much it costs if you damage it (or they say that you damaged it) or if you decide to end the service and don't return it in a timely manner. Some will want a monthly lease charge for the adapter. Third is that in almost all cases of an ISP offering VoIP they will sell you a package that includes X number of minutes per month, an amount that is often far more than you will ever use in a month. They will often include all the same taxes and fees that a traditional telephone company will assess as well.

I have an independent VoIP service and I do not have a fixed monthly fee other than for the incoming direct dial number. My TOTAL monthly charges for telephone services has never exceeded $13.00 including the fixed $6.99 for the inward number. When I had a traditional landline the MINIMUM charge was between $25 and $35 a month. I think I paid around $40 for the adapter I am using and although it is now considered obsolete it functions perfectly. I could, if I so desired, have either a second line from my current VoIP service for just the cost of the calls or I could have an entirely different VoIP service for the second line with NO additional equipment other than another regular telephone of which I have many.

Old 03-15-14, 06:16 PM
G
Yeah that's what we did and yeah it was a major hassle. Mainly getting our old number back. NO problem taking it when we signed up, but had to get an interim number assigned before wrestling it back out of their hands, but we did get it done, it's even a LAW they have to let us keep it, but they didn't make it easy on us.

Anyways, the ATT guy came today and problem wasn't even on our property, it was at a main box a block or so away, kudo's to the AT&T tech.

Old 03-15-14, 06:29 PM
10 points for PJ.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: