AM & FM Radio Static

Old 03-22-14, 04:24 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Unhappy AM & FM Radio Static

As title states, I'm experiencing an excessive amount of AM & FM radio station static. In radios that are used as they where intended to be used. No modifications made. Table top, portable hand carried and night stand types. Does not effect any other type of radio or communication system. Just the AM/FM radios.

Static not all that bad when used on batteries in radios intended to be both electrical and battery operated. However, radios must be outside dwelling and NOT on electrical power at anytime. Not anywhere inside on batteries or electrical power... Always static noise!!! Can't hear anything but noise and static. No power machinery in use nor on same electrical circuit....

Totally unacceptable noise/static when plugged in any wall outlet. FM stations not as badly effected as AM. AM is terrible. Not the way it use to be either. Far worse now then I can ever recall in years gone by. Unable to determine what changed if anything did?????

Questions are what could be the causes? Electrical interference? Any idea what it could be caused by? How to DIY diagnosis cause? WiFi signals. ???. Didn't effect it in the past. New type of light bulbs??? we are required to use.... No old style tube type florescent bulbs in the area either. ????

All and any possible causes and solutions acceptable.

I know. I know...... Nobody listens to them anymore....

Old 03-22-14, 04:56 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
One from my experience: Had problem as described. Totally messed up CB radio. Got to checking and it was worst about 1 mile from house beside a power pole. Told electrical provider about the problem and they brought out their equipment and discovered an insulator on pole was cracked and allowing a small arc in the crack that was wiping out radio for about 1 1/2 mile radius. They replaced the insulator and all was well. That was 25 years ago.

RR

Old 03-23-14, 04:18 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The fact that it's most intense inside the home is a clue that it may be something in the house.

The easiest way to see if it's electrical interference is to shut off the main breaker to the house. If the noise goes away on the AM radio(s) then switch the main on and switch off the other breakers one at a time until you find the circuit. Then look at what the culprit circuit is powering.

If the noise doesn't go away, suspect RR's cause (above). Less likely: A "smart" electrical, water, or gas meter.

Old 03-23-14, 02:00 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Rick

Thanks. Smart Meter??? Could be the culprit. Got one (Smart WiFi Meter) just about the time the radio noise and static started and/or I first noticed it, best as I can recall. HUMMM. That's a possible cause that never even dawned on me...

Told electrical provider about the problem and they brought out their equipment and discovered an insulator on pole was cracked and allowing a small arc in the crack that was wiping out radio for about 1 1/2 mile radius
And I just might be one of very few whom even listen to AM radio anymore!!!

Another HUMMM. YEP! Could be......A few new power poles and replaced high voltage electric lines recently installed in the neighborhood. Have to call the electric company and have them look into all this real soon.

Old 03-24-14, 04:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I just might be one of very few whom even listen to AM radio anymore!
My favorite stations are AM only problem is I can't pick them up reliably [and static free] in the house or my shop so I only listen to them when I'm driving.

Old 03-24-14, 04:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Tom, don't discount the NSA. They could have a surveillance unit close by. OK, OK, OK, just trying to keep your engines revved! Recent changes to electrical service definitely could cause interference.

Old 03-22-15, 08:31 AM
Admin Emeritus

Update to radio static on all stations. Both AM and FM.

Culprit was a defective ballast in one florescent under counter light fixture.......
That light fixture was once in the kitchen under a counter top. Moved into shop when a new replacement was purchased.

Culprit fixture continued to work since light was never turned on nor off. On 24/7/365. Used as a night light in darkened area. Amazing I never thought it could be a florescent light fixture, since it worked very well when left on continually.

Used the suggested Rick Johnson method number 3 post. Immediately and easily determined the circuit the defective fixture was on! One of two shop circuit breakers. Turned it off.......static instantly gone....

Next step in process was to unplug each fixture or appliance one at a time. Fortunately the very first light fixtures plug that was pulled out of electrical socket. Presto! All static gone!!!

Solution......defective fixture cussed at,...#@$$#@%^&&&...... then removed and violently tossed into recycle bin....! Many months of frustrations instantly gone!!!!

Installed new kitchen under counter light. Installed removed kitchen light into shop. I got rid of that dam constant annoying radio static, wife got new kitchen light...

The END!

Thanks Rick....

Old 03-23-15, 05:32 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Glad you found it. You must have a LOT of electrical devices in your house! It took a year to go through them all!

Old 03-24-15, 06:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 52 Posts
It's not the number of devices in Tom's house, Rick, it's the size of his house!:

Name:  10-Maison-de-lAmitie.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  51.2 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: