Re-running a network line for AT&T U-verse

Old 04-04-14, 08:31 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re-running a network line for AT&T U-verse

I had AT&T U-verse installed a couple weeks ago. The service technician put a new box on the outside of my house, and ran a CAT5e line to the modem.

For the CAT5e line, only the green/green-white pair and the orange/orange-white pair are getting used. Here is the box:

Name:  uverse1.jpg
Views: 14961
Size:  43.2 KB

Inside, the CAT5e line is terminated with a CAT5e snap-in jack, with the wires just going to the following slots:

3: orange-white
4: green
5: green-white
6: orange

A picture of this is below:

Name:  uverse2.jpg
Views: 8767
Size:  26.0 KB

This would appear to be a successful installation, everything is working with this setup.

Here's the issue: the line is coming up through the floor. I have a closet in the office with a 12 port dual-gang wall plate I'd like to run the AT&T U-verse line through.

I already had a spool of CAT6, so I wired up a new CAT6 jack to T568B specs, and ran the line out to the U-verse box on the side of the house.

I took the same slot numbers used in the U-verse CAT5e jack—3, 4, 5, and 6—and when wired as T568B, these wires are white-green, blue, blue-white, and green, and connected those to the box outside where their CAT5e counterparts were going.

I'm having trouble getting a connection though. The modem won't recognize the internet. This is where my limited networking knowledge comes into play.

I'm thinking as long as I'm connecting wires from the same slots on the jack to the box, it should work, but I'm finding that's not the case. Is there an issue with using CAT6 instead of CAT5e? Are there differences between a CAT6 jack and a CAT5e jack, where I would need to connect a different pair of wires to the box?

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-04-14, 12:57 PM
A
Alright, got the issue sorted out. Looks like I know just enough to get myself in trouble.

My wiring as described above was correct. Turns out the latches out at the box that cover the connectors have be completely closed to work.

Name:  uverse3.jpg
Views: 15515
Size:  42.0 KB

I had been leaving them open for convenience, cause I wasn't sure my wiring was 100% correct. Probably a no-brainer for anyone with any kind of experience in this arena, but live and learn.

Thanks!

Old 04-04-14, 01:24 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
the latches out at the box that cover the connectors have be completely closed to work.
New one on me. Thanks for letting us know you figured it out. It may help someone else.

Old 04-04-14, 02:22 PM
A
No problem, seemed strange to me as well. But sure enough, there is some kind of metal on each tooth of the latch, so it must be completing some kind of connection inside while closed.

Name:  uverse4.jpg
Views: 5670
Size:  32.0 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: