generic cell phone car charger

Old 04-15-14, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
generic cell phone car charger

I have a Moto X cell phone and can purchase a "Verizon" car charger from the Verizon website for around $20. I'll be checking Radio Shack and ebay for a generic (at 50-75% less cost) but wondering if I would run the risk of damaging my phone with a generic, or get poor recharging results. Any opinions on using a generic? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-14, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 36 Posts
DH got a generic charger for his IPhone, to use in his truck, and it didn't work.
I've found generic items are hit and miss. Might work and might not!

Old 04-15-14, 11:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
I've had good luck with aftermarket chargers and cords with non-Apple products so I would give a cheapie a try.

Old 04-15-14, 12:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As far as damaging the phone, don't worry about it. USB is USB is USB. It's all 5 volts and it's all the same pinout. However at one point Motorola was making it so their phones look for an ID chip in the "genuine Motorola" USB charger, and they would refuse to charge if it was not seen (it would actually say "Not Charging" on the display). Don't know if that's still the case or not but it's something to be aware of. That's the same thing Apple is doing now with the Thunderbolt connector phones in an attempt to boost their overpriced first-party and "licensed" (ie: ones they get a piece of) third party accessory sales.

You also need to make sure the charger will put out at least 1000mA, otherwise it will not be able to 'fast charge' the phone. A lot of the ones you find in the fishbowls at gas stations for $8 only output 500-700mA.

Old 04-15-14, 01:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I don't know much about cellphone chargers but I have a Motorola flip phone. The instructions that came with say to only use a motorola charger but it will charge if I plug it into my PC's USB. I bought the phone new last fall.