3.5mm chassis terminal socket lug identification?

Old 12-22-14, 06:04 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3.5mm chassis terminal socket lug identification?

Hello, I am attempting to add a discriminator output to my radio scanner. Required for this project is a 3.5mm audio chassis terminal. I am fairly new to working with these, and I need help identifying which lug is which on the port. Mainly the sleeve lug and the tip lug. This is the link to a tutorial I found on modding the scanner in question. Bearcat BC80XLT. The image shows how it is wired up and all, but it seems like each chassis terminal out there like this one is a bit different as far as the lugs go. Can anyone help me out with this? This is pretty much the only thing standing in my way.
Any help and clarification is greatly appreciated. Discriminator Output BC80XLT / COM213

Old 12-22-14, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A question..... what are you going to do with the discriminator output ?

There are at least 10 different 3.5mm jacks and then there are mono, stereo, tri pin, open and closed circuit.

Below is a sampling of jacks. They are all 3.5mm mono types.

Name:  3.5.jpg
Views: 3212
Size:  17.3 KB

The first two are mono/open circuit. Terminal 1 = ground - terminal 2 = hot
The third one is a mono type - closed circuit. When you pull the plug out of the third jack... pins 2 and 3 connect.

The first jack is a Switchcraft style h.d. jack
The second jack is the one that is mostly seen around.
The third jack is used as an AC adapter jack so that T1=ground, T2=device
T3=battery pack. When plug is put in jack... battery disconnects.

With any jack of this type.... look at the back of the jack. You'll see the metal barrel part of the jack roll over the top of a terminal. That is always the ground. The hot terminal connects to the arm that hits the tip of the plug.

Hope I didn't confuse you. Any questions.... ask away.

Old 12-22-14, 08:30 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. It is going to be used for an ATCS monitor. After this post, I figured it out a little bit, this really hits it home for me. Jack number 2 is what I need. Any link to one like it? Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: