Help with phone wiring

Old 12-23-14, 09:24 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with phone wiring

Hey there,

We are finishing our basement and we are adding in a bunch of phone and network drops. However, we are having some problems wiring them up.

First off, we are using 3-pair (6 wire), and they are connected to a On-Q RJ45 Data/Phone Jack (the connector fits the RJ11 style cords, not just RJ45).

I connected one of the drops to my phone bridge board, but when I connect my phone on the other end of the drop, I don't get a ringtone.

Any ideas on what is happening?

Thanks,
Zach

Old 12-23-14, 09:37 AM
M
First off, if it's not too late.... I would simply wire everything with Cat5e or Cat6. That way, not only do you only need one type of cable, but then every jack becomes interchangeable between phone, data, and anything else that uses UTP (such as HDMI extenders, coax baluns, A/V baluns, etc.

Phones use only the center pair on your jack. If you're wiring Cat5/6 using standard T-568A/B, that would be the blue pair, on pins 4 and 5 (aka Pair 1).

With your three-pair wire, make sure you actually have a pair on the middle two pins, and that the same pair is connected at both ends (polarity shouldn't matter).

Old 12-23-14, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Three pair cable sounds like cat3 cable which is good for telephone but not for data.

In new installations I like to run separate cables for data and phone.

It sounds like you are trying to use one cable for data and phone. If that's the case then you need to use cat5e (4 pair) network cable.

Old 12-23-14, 10:08 AM
K
Re:

Sorry, I wasn't very clear - I'm running two cables per drop - one Cat3 cable, and one Cat5e cable. I'm using the Cat3 cable for the phones.

Thanks

Old 12-23-14, 10:24 AM
M
Right, so again, you're using ONLY the center pair... with Cat3 you would still normally use the blue.

If your incoming line is standard four-conductor, it will use red and green for the first line, black and yellow for a second line... in your case, you're only using red and green, so you'll connect those to the blue pair.

If the incoming line uses Cat3 or some other form of multi-core, make sure you have the correct pair with dialtone there.

Edit: R and T in the diagram refer to Ring and Tip, not receive/transmit. Throwback to the days of the old plugs used in switchboards...

Old 12-23-14, 11:15 AM
K
Re:

Matt,

Thanks for the diagram, however I connected the blue pair to one of the terminals on the Telephone Bridge (see photo 1), and still no ring tone. I believe that this is wired correctly, as I use what was already connected as reference.

Name:  2014-12-23 13.06.06.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  38.8 KB

The problem is probably where the drop comes down the wall and into the connector. I connected the blue pair to their respective place on the connector, but that still didn't give me a ring tone.

Name:  20141223_130300.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  20.1 KB

Aside from trying each of the terminals on the connector, I can't think of anything else to do in terms of troubleshooting..

Thanks for your help,

Zach

Old 12-23-14, 05:40 PM
M
Have you identified the incoming lines - is it the red/green pair in the top punchdown block? Try taking your new run, strip a bit off the end of the wires, and push the bare wires gently down right on top of the incoming wires, thereby making a direct connection and bypassing the Bridge entirely (temporarily, of course, for troubleshooting).

Are you using a proper 110 punch tool to seat the wires in the bridge and jack terminals?

Also, have you tried different phones in that jack? Check the plug on the phone cord, make sure it's not wired to use the second line (yellow/black in most cases, or pins 2 & 5 in a 6-pin plug, or pins 1 & 4 in a four-pin plug).

Example, in this diagram... the black/yellow outer pairs would be "Line 2", make sure your phone cord isn't wired to use JUST those (reaching now, but anything is possible).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: