caller ID

Old 01-19-15, 08:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 270 Votes on 239 Posts
caller ID

Recently I've noticed several times on my caller ID that my home phone number called my home I was finally home the last time 'my phone' called me I saw my name and didn't pay attention to the number at first because I thought it was Mark Jr calling ..... but it was Rachel from credit card services telling me there wasn't a problem with my credit card at the current time but I needed to press 1 to keep from paying high interest - not sure which I hate worse, telemarketers or robo calls.

Anyway, how do they make my phone number show up when they call instead of theirs? I'm sure it's illegal but I had never seen my number show up on my phone before.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-15, 08:47 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I heard about this a couple months ago - it's never a legit call if you see your own number in the display.

As to how they do it, I don't have a clue but I have Google sitting in front of me so I'm going to look.

Old 01-19-15, 08:49 AM
S
Group Moderator
Couple of good links in the first response:
Received call with my own name and number in caller ID!

Old 01-19-15, 09:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
While I'm not naive enough to think I was the only one, I had never heard of it before or realized it was that prevalent.

I don't know if this is the busy season for telemarketers and scammers but I seem to be getting a lot of calls from them lately .... and I am on the do not call list. I've gotten several from the 'IRS' saying this was my final noticed before they file a lawsuit against me for back taxes. My wife said I was supposed to call the police but they already know about it. According to the newspaper the 'IRS' scammers called and talked to a local judge

Old 01-19-15, 11:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 934 Votes on 871 Posts
Spoofing should be made illegal and prosecutable immediately. The phone companies have the power to stop it.

It's one thing for a call to be labeled out-of-the-area or unavailable or private but spoofing is downright wrong. There is NO valid reason for it to be used.

Marketing tool is absolute B.S.

Old 01-19-15, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
and I am on the do not call list.
Unfortunately that only works for legitimate companies. That "Credit Card Services" thing is the worst. I will vote for any candidate for anything that swears he will shut them down and prosecute. They won't give call back numbers, they won't give company info, they won't do anything the law requires. All you can do is file a complaint, which I have done several times, but without a phone number and other info, nothing happens.

Old 01-20-15, 03:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Why telemarketing companies go to all the trouble to mask numbers is beyond me. It obviously costs money to do that, plus it costs money to man the phone bank and give their spiel. Where do they get their money? Has ANYONE ever accepted an offer from a telemarketing company. OK, 5 out of millions. That' isn't a large ROI, IMO.

Do not Call list is a joke and a "feel good" attempt by the FCC. Has no bite, has no intention of making it right.

Old 01-20-15, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 42 Posts
Amen! I'll bet money I received as many telemarketer calls last year as i did paying calls. They get an earful when they call with a live person on the other end and I'm not a bit remorseful that's it's someone just doing a job they get paid to do.

Old 01-20-15, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
OK, I have had it up to here! They started calling today (5 so far). I can tell the calls 'cause I don't know anyone in Washington state, California, nor New York. I answered the phone and when she asked for the owner, I told her in a remorseful voice that they were all killed in an accident this morning. Dead silence.

As Scarlett Ohara said......Tomorrow is another day. I'll have to get busy with responses. This may be fun after all.

Old 01-20-15, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good one Larry,
The no call list used to work pretty good. I remember about 17 years ago calls were relentless, all hours of the day.

But you and I are contractors Larry and our numbers and business info are public record. Yeah, it get's bad. I got three calls today to offer to renew my contractor's bond, which is already done and I have no intention of going to another company.

Old 01-20-15, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 934 Votes on 871 Posts
I actually don't mind if there is a live operator because it's someone I can hassle.
It's the no answer or hangups that piss me off the most.

Old 01-20-15, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
Oh I always have lots of fun Larry. If I'm involved in something, I just press 1 to talk to a rep, and leave it on speaker just to clog their lines as much as possible. If I'm not doing anything, and they ask how much CC debt I have, I start fake sobbing and tell them it's killing me and my family and I just want it to end.

I understand they are just doing a job to make ends meet, but do these people have no souls? (Not that I really believe in that...just an expression) I would not and will never, ever do a job that I don't think is good for people. Thats why I probably haven't found anything yet. HD wants the younger folks here apparently, even though I know more about stuff than half the people that work there.

Old 01-20-15, 07:57 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I must lead a charmed life as I never have received anything on my VoIP phone but calls from people I wanted to talk with. I have received an occasional advertising call or robo call on my cell but they are few and far between and more often as not they are from some concern with which I have a business connection. Simple wrong numbers on my cell phone are far more common.

Old 01-20-15, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
Mine are always house phone Joel. Never cell...which I no longer have anyway.

Old 01-21-15, 03:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I rarely get a telemarketer call on my cell phone and while the business type sales calls are rare [I've been retired a long time] there isn't a month that goes by that I don't get a mailing addressed to my painting business. Makes me think that the list they use must be old.

I always hang up on telemarketers but I wonder how they can save me interest on my credit card since I don't pay any to start with Back in the early 70's I hit hard times a worked as a telemarketer selling circus tickets for 3 weeks - the absolute worst job I've ever had!

Old 01-21-15, 04:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 42 Posts
Unfortunately I have two landlines, one each of the major metro areas I serve. One is permanently forwarded to the other and during hours it forwards to my cell, so I have double the chance of getting a telemarketer, sometimes getting them back to back.

Larry, my business partner (and company founder) passed away in 2006. Still get calls asking for "Jeff" to which I respond, well it would be a pretty boring conversation and then give them the punchline.

One thing I did many moons ago was mention another name to a caller as the manager/owner's name. Now when someone calls and asks to speak to "George", they get an immediate hangup. Also, nobody gets a second opportunity to bother me, at least not using the same caller ID number. I store past telemarketers numbers in my phone under an obvious heading ("solicitor" or "salesman" or lately just "crap") so I just ignore them next time the ID pops up. I probably have 500 numbers stored that I no longer have to bother answering.

The latest batch of idiots are the ones trying to get me to take some "working capital" or similar money offers, mostly with robo's.

Old 01-21-15, 08:00 AM
S
Group Moderator
I don't have a landline - all of the telemarketing calls I get are on my cell.