DSL / PPoE / DHCP

Old 09-16-15, 11:41 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
DSL / PPoE / DHCP

I normally have 2 modems/routers.
- the dsl router from our telco which setups the PPoE connection.
- A linksys E4200 running tomato which we use to access our VPN.
- They are connected LAN-WAN

Seems like every time we have a decent electrical storm we burn up another dsl router. As I write this our dsl router can't get out to the internet. SO - I have this really cheap TP-LINK dsl modem which I have connected to the E4200. To get this to work I had to change the E4200 to connect via PPoE (with credentials) from the previous DHCP.

Ideally I would like to have only one router - but how can I have a router which supplies the PPoE credentials AND provides DHCP ? Short of that - can anyone recommend a high quality dsl router which is smart enough to house the PPoE sign-in credentials so I can put the E4200 back to DHCP ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-15, 02:51 PM
L
Old 09-16-15, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
You need to put surge protection on your incoming phone line to the DSL modem. Before I did we burned up 3 modems, 1 router, 2 NIC cards.

Just google "phone line surge protector"

Old 09-16-15, 03:23 PM
L
hmm - looks a lot like the 'filters' we already have in place.

and for the house - for whatever it is worth - we have this big honkin' box (about 18" X 24") that supposedly protects stuff. Even so - if we are around and there is a storm we disconnect all the phone and tv stuff.

Old 09-16-15, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
"Big honkin box" makes me thing of a line voltage surge suppressor protecting your power lines. This does nothing for your phone lines.

Lightning that strikes the ground can induce a voltage spike to low voltage lines buried in the ground. Unless those "filters" say surge suppressor, or TVSS, it is only a DSL filter and dose nothing for surge suppression. The surge suppressor needs to be install at the first point of entry to the house and typically need to be plugged in to an outlet.

I also forgot to mention I have gone through a few of them too due to spikes. At $5 each they have been a good investment.

Old 09-17-15, 11:18 AM
L
Thanks for the advice on the phone line surge suppressor. We will be in Austin in a couple weeks and try to pick a couple up. I called BestBuy but they said that is not something a store normally stocks. Perhaps HomeDepot...

Visited the telco office earlier today and swapped out the router. That makes 4 times this year. New one worked immediately before any of my changes. You would think Telmex would provide surge suppressors to their customers just as a cost thing...

Old 09-20-15, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
You might be better off going to a store like Fry's electronics. I see there is one in Austin, TX. Of course Amazon has them for about $6

Old 09-24-15, 12:05 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 13 Posts
Listen to Tolwyn Ironhand. His experience is not unusual and his advice is sound.
Tolwyn Ironhand wrote:
I also forgot to mention I have gone through a few of them too due to spikes. At $5 each they have been a good investment.

Each time a surge suppressor does it's job, it gets the electrical equivilent of being hit with a hammer. They will reach a point where just can't take any more and fail. What is best for your equipment is for it to fail in a manner that you know it (short or ground the phone lines) and replace them.

I've found that I get the best results from "protection in depth" or multiple layers of protection. My protection scheme is:
  1. Protection at the Telco interface outside.
  2. Protection at the main distribution point inside.
  3. Protection at the device.
On the electrical side, I have a whole-house protector, a protector before each power strip and a UPS for the Computer, Monitor and Modem. Since I set it up that way, I went from 2-4 items a year to losing nothing in over 8 years; except surge protectors.

Works for me.