Advice needed for VoIP setup

Old 02-07-16, 12:14 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice needed for VoIP setup

Hello,

About 6 months ago, I kicked AT&T to the curb (yay!) and switched to a VoIP "landline". I've been using just one cordless base plugged into the VoIP adapter with 4 - 5 paired cordless handsets around the house.

What I want to do is plug the VoIP adapter into my existing house phone wiring so all existing jacks work for the phone service. I "think" I need to splice a couple of wires together in the outside box where the AT&T service came in, but what exactly do I need to do?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 02-07-16, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
You'd need to make sure the connection between your house and the CO is opened.

You can take a modular cord with two plugs..... plug it into the adapter and into any existing jack in the house and it will work.

Old 02-07-16, 12:25 PM
S
"You'd need to make sure the connection between your house and the CO is opened. "

What do you mean by the "CO"? I've unplugged the AT&T connection in the exterior box, but I thought there was a couple of wires that needed to be jumpered for this to work.

Old 02-07-16, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
I've unplugged the AT&T connection in the exterior box
That's it..... you're done. AT&T is the CO. (central office)

Your jacks in your house should already be connected in parallel to that connection. That means if you put service into one of the jacks.... it will be seen at all of the jacks.

Old 02-07-16, 12:33 PM
S
OK, thanks, I did try that when I first got the VoIP equipment, and it seemed to work for about a day, then no dial tone at any jack. Maybe that was an anomaly - I'll try again and report back.

Thanks also for moving to the correct forum - wasn't sure where to post. . .

Old 02-07-16, 12:34 PM
Group Moderator
No problem.... keep us posted as there are many many ways for the wiring to get crossed up.

Old 02-07-16, 12:57 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Unplug the jack/plug in the NID (Network Interface Device on the outside of the house. Wrap a piece of plastic electrical tap around the plug and leave a note in the NID that the telephones are now serviced via an inside VoIP device. The tape and note are to alert any telephone people that they have been disconnected on purpose.

Note, IF you have an alarm system that once connected through the land-line telephone system you will likely have an RJ-31xx jack at the alarm panel. This could, under certain conditions cause your VoIP to drop out.

Old 02-07-16, 01:44 PM
S
Note, IF you have an alarm system that once connected through the land-line telephone system you will likely have an RJ-31xx jack at the alarm panel. This could, under certain conditions cause your VoIP to drop out.
No, don't have a LL-connected alarm, but thanks for that suggestion. Prior problem could have been a couple of things, including the VoIP adapter needing a re-boot. Will post back. . .

Old 02-07-16, 02:41 PM
Received 291 Votes on 261 Posts
I've currently have this same system. Just make sure all existing jacks in the house are connected in series. Try to make the base station the first phone on the line from where you disconnected AT&T.

Old 02-07-16, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
That would be connected in parallel Norm and since they are all in parallel it makes little difference which plug goes where.

Old 02-07-16, 04:50 PM
S
At this point I have dial tone at each jack I've tried. I could only plug into the jack nearest my router anyway, so if there's going to be a problem it should crop up over the next day or so. (Well, should have cropped up immediately, but compost happens. . .)

Thanks, all, for your replies.

Old 02-10-16, 10:59 AM
S
Advice needed for VoIP setup FOLLOWUP

System seems to be working just fine after several days' use. Only minor problem encountered was some static on the line, which, after a process of elimination, turned out to be a faulty phoneset plugged into one of the outlets. Swapped it for a different set, and static disappeared.

Thanks again to all!

PS: I highly recommend this phone system if you want to keep a "landline", esp. the provider (VoIPO). You're given a V-Panel on their website from which you can control many, many aspects of your phone service, including blocking telemarketers and any other phone numbers you have problems with, and voicemail accessible thru the V-Panel (thus from any internet device).

Old 02-10-16, 11:42 AM
Received 291 Votes on 261 Posts
You are correct about getting many "controls" from the provider. One of the big advantages is the free or nearly free international calling. I use to use LINGO as my VoIP provider, but since I no longer have a need for regular overseas calls I dropped them and went a package Internet, TV, phone from Time-Warner.

Old 02-10-16, 12:13 PM
S
The attraction for me was the cost savings. We live in a rural area and cell reception @ our house is kinda spotty, & TWC is not available here, so a landline is needed. We were paying AT&T about $550 a year for service including LD; VoIPO service was $180 for a 2-year contract. A no-brainer, for me!

The controls were a bonus I didn't expect, so it was definitely icing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: