Move/remove Comcast voice cable in basement

Old 02-11-16, 07:52 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Move/remove Comcast voice cable in basement

Not sure where to post this Comcast VoIP question.

I want to move (or completely remove) the cable that Comcast ran in my basement for their phone services.

It is a Cat5e cable run from a Comcast box on the outside of the house to the phone outlet nearest the modem on the first floor of the house.

Can someone tell me what the purpose of this cable is?

It is my understanding that if I were to open Comcast's box and the Phone Co's box, I would find the connection to the Phone Co's network disconnected and I would find Comcast had spliced the wires entering the house with their Cat5e cable.

Am I correct that there is no connection at all between the Comcast cable and the Phone Co's network?

If this is the case, can't I remove the wire and still have all the phone jacks in the house tied into the VoIP - back-fed by the modem's connection to the closest phone jack?

If so, is there any advantage to the way the Comcast tech wired it or can I simply remove the wire? Can anyone tell me why he wired it this way?

I also want to mention that there is a Network Interface Jack inside the house with a single Quad cable running from the Phone Co's box, and a phone line junction box - but presently, this is not connected to the phone lines - having been disconnected during a renovation after the Comcast install. Not sure if the presence of this set up would have caused the Comcast tech to run his cable all the way back to the Phone Co's box.

Also, also - want to mention that the phone line wiring does not utilize "home runs" back to any single point, so this was not a consideration in running the Comcast cable.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-16, 09:58 AM
C
At my house Comcast ran jumper from modem to nearest phone jack and cut phone cable from ouside phone box. My house does not have home runs either.

Old 02-11-16, 03:19 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Cat5e cables don't get spliced. There shouldn't be any connection between the Comcast interface & the Telco's interface. Open the box or boxes, in question & tell us what you see.

Old 02-11-16, 03:37 PM
S
Seeing the Comcast connection is another mystery.

They used a cable termination box and so far I haven't been able to open it. Mind you, my cable doesn't pass through the box at all - just whatever they did with that cat5 cable.

I did some research on them today, and I think I can open it with a small pair of needle nose pliers or maybe a hemostat.

And everything is complicated by the single digit temperatures rolling in - so opening anything outside will have to wait.

Old 02-11-16, 04:06 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Take your time, if it's too cold. You don't have to do it tonight.

Old 02-11-16, 04:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
I got a set of tamper proof sockets from Harbor freight, Could not find them now but found this, Don't know if this is what you have.
Search results for: 'tamper'

Old 02-11-16, 04:40 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Category 5 cable is often used for telephone wiring. In such cases it may indeed be spliced.

Old 02-11-16, 04:44 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Category 5 cable is often used for telephone wiring. In such cases it may indeed be spliced.
Did you ever try to splice or even punch a head on a Cat5 cable? Workers who do it on a daily basis have a hard time.

Old 02-11-16, 05:10 PM
D
My guess is that the phone company's box has an rj-11 port inside of it. That's how the phone company makes the connection from their network to your house network. Comcast probably ran the cat5 into that box, slapped an rj connector on the end and plugged it into the house network.

Old 02-11-16, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
A REAL installer will connect the cable modem to the phone company network interface box.
I always run a cable to the network box and crimp a modular plug on so that it is easy to disconnect it and reconnect the phone company without having to make any changes in the house.

With that being said.... you can disconnect that and connect the modem to the nearest jack as was mentioned.

Cat5 wiring used for phones gets spliced all the time. Small wire nuts are fine. I use gel filled crimps. Cat5 wiring for data does not get spliced.

Old 02-11-16, 05:11 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Probably done it hundreds of times. Having the correct tools and connectors helps.

Old 02-19-16, 10:46 AM
S
update

I successfully removed the cable. Phone works fine without it. In the spring I will look into removing the eye-sore termination box that Comcast put on the side of the house - right next to the entrance no less.

Old 02-19-16, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
If you do want to remove it.... post a picture so we can offer you help. When you sign up for a service..... you could be obligated by contract to leave their demarc equipment in place even if discontinuing service. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html