Smart Phone Recommendations?

Old 10-26-16, 08:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Smart Phone Recommendations?

Well today marks another smart phone destined for the grave yard. It seems like I can't keep a smart phone for more than a few months. Does anyone have any recommendations for one that won't break on me? I'm about ready to say F it and keep my phone in the truck.

Old 10-26-16, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I use a Motorola flip.....no problems.

Old 10-27-16, 02:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I use a Samsung Galaxy 5s and have been satisfied with it. I am an Android person rather than Apple, so you have to make that decision, too. If all you do is make calls and texts, do like Pete and use a flip phone. I gave my helper an old Rugby phone about 4 years ago to use with a pay-as-you -go type plan and he still uses it.

Old 10-27-16, 04:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
What type of phone are you looking for? If you want an old school phone you can't beat the Casio G'zone Ravine. It's a ruggedized and waterproof flip phone. I beat the snot out of it for 4 years dropping it from the top of ladders onto concrete and into the mud. I'd wash it off underwater with a toothbrush and it was good to go again. When I was done my father took it and is still using it today. In addition to being extremely rugged it has very good reception and voice quality as a phone and has a loud volume if you have hearing difficulty.

If looking for a smartphone the choice is less clear. With whatever you choose a case of some type is almost a neccessity if you are hard on phones. I'm not a fan of iPhones. I've found their battery life to be pathetic and the recent loss of the headphone jack means several apps that relay on the jack to interface with external devices will not work. My current favorites are the Motorola Droid Turbo if you want long battery life. My next pick would be the Samsung Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge.

Old 10-27-16, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I love my IPhone. But if you mean they're breaking because you're rough on them or dropping them, then you just need to be more careful!
There isn't any infallible phone. I do drop mine all the time tho, and it hasn't yet broke on me.

Old 10-27-16, 05:14 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I think you need to answer Pilot Dane's question before any advice can be given. How do you use your phone? What do you expect from your phone? Do you use it outside much of the time? Do you do extensive texting? Is your environment extreme such as construction or is it office? Whatever the environment, there is a case that will provide the protection you need. The other question is what kind of failure are you experiencing? Is it bad battery life or physical breakage?

Old 10-27-16, 04:29 PM
Justin. Two more words. Gorilla glass and Otterbox. I put the extra gorilla glass on my S5 and keep it in an Otterbox to cushion it. So far....so good.

Old 10-27-16, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies, guys. I am looking for another smartphone. I'm an electrical contractor and I normally keep the phone on the job site. I do a lot of texting, streaming music, etc. I've always had cases, but considering how much I drop them they don't hold up. Mine fell out of my sweatshirt pocket yesterday and the screen smashed. Another time I was doing a service in the rain and it got filled with water. A time before that I dropped one out of the bucket. I liked my Samsung Note 4, the screen was big and easy to read.

Old 10-28-16, 11:14 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
maybe its a blessing that your Samsung note crapped out since those are the ones catching fire ??
Perhaps you can call your provider or Samsung and tell them you have the note and would like to upgrade or swap?? They may honor it without asking for the old one cant hurt trying.
Good Luck
You can always check craigslist they are always folks selling used ones?

Old 10-28-16, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
The note 7 was the one catching fire.

Look into the Samsung Galaxy S7 or S6 Active

or

You need to invest in an Otter Box. They make ones that are almost bomb proof.

Old 10-28-16, 06:09 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I'll throw my 2 cents in.

We had iPhones for about 6 or 8 years & they held up well but we had Otter Box cases too. But due to personal preference, I got fed up with Apple because of their "brand specific" O/S (software). For example, their music format. Nothing else will work with Apple OS... only their specific format will work. Just before we got ready to buy new phones, Apple refused to assist the feds with breaking the passwords to the terrorists phone to get intel for prosecution. That just re-iterated the fact I will never support Apple specifically because they dont support me, my safety nor the safety of the United States. If I live to be 300, I'll get a tin can & a string before I support Apple products.

Having said that, we researched & tried to decipher all the opinions out there on phones & as always, it comes entirely down to self preference.... Do I buy a Ford or a Chevy? Do I buy Galaxy or Apple? It all comes down to personal preference. One is no worse than the other & one is no better than the other. Its general differences in brand & software..... preferences.
But, after much debate, I chose Galaxy S6. I have had this phone for probably a year & I hate it. When I first got it, I know its change & its a bit different in OS, software etc, so I seemed to like it ok, just a matter of getting used to it. The problem was, the more I used it & got used to how it works, the more confusing I found it & I hate it. Personally, I wont every buy another, but, just like the iPhone, some are always going to argue that its the best thing since sliced bread.

I dont know what I'll buy next time. I like the iPhone's functionality (the way it works & its ease to use) but I will not support Apple for the two reasons mentioned above..... period. Even if there is nothing else.... period.
I wont buy another Galaxy (Android software) because its so confusing & hard to operate. Too many things you cant adjust, you gotta go to nine places to change one thing. Or as I always say, "you gotta go all the way around the world, just to get across the street". Android... never again.
Oh, BTW, they have held up well but again... Otter Box... the best out there.

Rant over..

Old 10-28-16, 07:05 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
hey dixie would you consider the google phone?

Old 10-28-16, 07:16 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I havent really researched any other phones lately. Its been a year or so since looked at opinions & reviews on phones & I dont remember much about the phones with Google OS... sorry.

Old 10-29-16, 04:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Maybe your problem isn't so much the phone but the fact you keep it in a pocket. Have you tried a case with a holster belt clip? I really like the Sedido cases and holster. The holster is hard plastic and the phone, in its case, clips into it and is locked securely in place. To remove the phone there is a spring loaded lever you move and the phone is free. I've never had the phone come out of it's holster by accident.

Some of the Otter Box cases are OK. Some are really bad but it depends on what phone you have. They are available to offer different levels of protection but I found that the cases made the phones way too big and their belt holster system stinks for some models.

Old 10-29-16, 05:05 AM
Apple refused to assist the feds with breaking the passwords to the terrorists phone to get intel for prosecution
You gotta remember this is the "Government" wanting this technology. It won't end with "terrorist" investigations. They can't help it. I don't blame Apple one bit. Let the government use its unlimited resources to "break" the code if they want to.

Dane, I used the term "Otterbox" generically with my recommendation. I use another brand, but I can't seem to identify it. I did find the axle for the belt clip to be the weakest link with the Otterbox brand. The one I have now has been going for 2 years with all the abuse I give it.

Gosh, if I made a product, you would see my name on it. It's like windows and doors. No one puts their names on them for identification.

Old 10-29-16, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I use a case that clips to my belt/pocket but not the holster type Dane is reffering to.This is similar to what I use: https://www.amazon.com/On5%7EVertica...%3A11043308011 It allows quick access and provides some protection. I have droped my phone a couple of times and it came out A-OK.

Since I started with a new company they wanted me to use a hands free device when driving. They gave me a Buletooth ear piece but it didn't work for me. I picked up one of these and I am starting to really like it! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Battery lasts a LONG time. I can listen to music, talk on the phone while working. Phone stays by my tool box or truck. Range is about 30' or so.

I don't blame Apple one bit. Let the government use its unlimited resources to "break" the code if they want to.
I agree! If the Goverment wants to hack the phone there is no reason that they shouldn't be able to do it with their resources, unless it is not possible. Oh, wait. They did do it.

Old 10-29-16, 05:37 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I like a canvas belt case like below. There is Velcro on the flap and there is a belt loop behind the metal clip you can feed your belt through. I find a belt loop safer then a clip because sometimes when you squat or wiggle around you can dislodge the clip from the belt.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  7.2 KB Name:  64.png
Views: 214
Size:  58.2 KB

Old 10-29-16, 09:29 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The Otterbox defender cases are great. Being a house painter, I generally break the belt clip off as soon as I get the case. Can't risk the thing hanging off my belt. Too many opportunities for it knocking something over, falling off, touching something it shouldn't.

The older version of the defender cases were incredible. Some form of silicone, soft cover over top of the hard plastic cover inside. Nothing stuck to it, I used it for years and my wife now uses it. It still looks as good as the day I got it. Absolutely perfect. As well, the slightly hard(ish) screen cover was very resistant to allowing any scratches or stuff to stick to it.

That all changed. I got a defender for my Blackberry Q10. After roughly 2 years, the outer case is probably covered with a little bit of almost every paint I've used in 2 years. Scratched everywhere. Looks horrible, but being a painter I couldn't care less. Worth mentioning though. The plastic film you put on the screen looked horrible literally as soon as it was installed. Air bubbles everywhere and I followed the instructions very carefully. Removed and reinstalled another one with the same result.

I contacted the company and gave them my review, asked them to send me a few more of the screen film covers so I could at least try and make it work again. They sent me a complete new defender package. Lol. Screen cover never went on properly and a buddy of mine got a free defender case which was a positive I guess.

Anyhoo, there's some info.

I'm considering a change when my current contract runs out. Considering a switch from Blackberry to an iphone, but not quite sure. My blackberry does almost everything I want it to and has a physical keyboard which I really like. Upon getting the Q10 which does touch screen I was kind of worried I wouldn't be able to do much with touch screen given I'm a painter and also didn't like touch screen work. I've in general gotten used to it.

The only reason I'm considering a change is that there are some Apps out there that I'd consider trying, but the developers don't make them for BB which is unfortunate. I know there's a lot of BB bashers out there, but I've in general found the products to be very reliable over the 8 years I've used them. It's just that the market is so saturated with Iphones, that all developers tend to make their products available for them.

I suppose the same could be said for android compatible phones as well. Not sure about that.

Old 11-03-16, 09:53 AM
E
I'd say the recommendations for Otterboxes in this thread are pretty good. Depending on what you do for a living I'd also recommend avoiding the few phones with physical keyboards left, as I've had too many stories of getting crud in them and ruining the keyboard. I'd recommend trying to find something "durable" or built to construction specs, as a lot of those will have things like water resistance and shock-proofing built in. This list is a little outdated but might help: The 5 best smartphones for construction work | Equipment World | Construction Equipment, News and Information | Heavy Construction Equipment

Old 01-23-17, 07:22 AM
K
How about double protection with an S7active phone and an otterbox defender case :-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: