Is it possible to wire my Ooma phone to my whole house?

Old 10-27-16, 05:38 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to wire my Ooma phone to my whole house?

I am using Ooma Telo VoIP Home Phone System. Instead of connecting to a phone from the Ooma, I was wondering if there is a way to connect the Ooma VoIP directly to my whole house so that I can connect my phone to any phone jack in the house. Any help is much appreciated.

Old 10-27-16, 06:38 AM
Received 292 Votes on 262 Posts
Is Ooma Tele Voip more than VoIP service? Is their phone proprietary to their service? If not then yes you can tie it into your whole house wired phone. I did this when I used Lingo VoIP service for many years.

Old 10-27-16, 08:13 AM
C
The unit I have a phone jack that I connect my phone to it. That is it. That is why I was wondering if I can simply wire to my house so I can connect to any phone jack in the house. If so, the next question is, how do I wire my house's phone line to the output phone jack on the Ooma unit?

Old 10-27-16, 08:32 AM
It should be straight forward

From their site and I assume in your directions.

From the second RJ connection connect to the house phone wiring.

Or your existing phone connection might be daisy changed to all the other phone outlets in the home.

If this does not make sense, then look at my set up. I'm currently using Time-Warner for my phone service but it's still a VoIP service. Instead of going from the Ooma directly to your phone, connect it to an existing phone jack in your home. This in turn should connect all you existing jacks. Then you should be able to connect another phone to any open jack.

Old 10-27-16, 09:18 AM
C
Wow, thank you so much! So all I have to do is connect to any existing phone jack in the house and it should connect all of them, correct? Thanks! I'll give it a try tonight.

Old 10-27-16, 09:24 AM
Yes, if they are daisy chained.

Where does your Internet connection enter the house? You might want to make a phone jack connection right there and then daisy chain your other phone jacks to that connection.

Old 10-27-16, 10:35 AM
C
At the moment Internet connection is right at the power breaker where everything comes in the house. I think I can see the phone line coming from outside in this location as well.

Old 10-27-16, 12:08 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Before connecting your Ooma box to your inside telephone wiring you MUST disconnect from the telephone company wiring. Find the Network Interface Device (NID) on the outside of the house or very close to where the telephone wiring comes into the house. Open the cover and unplug the stub wire with the standard telephone modular plug. Wrap some plastic electrical tape around the plug and leave a note inside the NID that telephone service is now being supplied by a VoIP system.

The "spare" jack on the Ooma box MAY be the correct jack to use but it may not, you will probably need to use a standard modular telephone cable between the wall outlet and the jack on the Ooma box where your telephone is currently plugged into.

Last edited by Furd; 10-27-16 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Corrected misspelled word.
Old 10-27-16, 12:11 PM
Furd, good call. I should've mentioned that from the get go. I disconnected my land line and just coiled up the excess.

Old 10-28-16, 09:21 AM
R
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
At the moment Internet connection is right at the power breaker where everything comes in the house. I think I can see the phone line coming from outside in this location as well.
If the internet connection is coming through the phone line you could have issues with disconnecting the line. There are a lot of ISP's still using phone lines for providing service.

Old 11-11-16, 07:54 AM
C
My Internet comes from the cable and not through the phone company. So, I think I'm good by disconnecting the phone company line coming from outside; however, before I do, do I need to worry about electricity in the phone company's line when disconnecting? Or is it such a low voltage enough that I don't need to worry about?

Old 11-11-16, 08:04 AM
C
Furd,

It's something like this image, right?
Name:  Inside the NID (diagram) 08302011.jpg
Views: 5203
Size:  31.7 KB

Old 11-11-16, 10:25 AM
F
There are several different styles but they are all essentially the same. They all have a jack (female) that is connected to the telephone company outside network and the plug (male) is connected to the inside wiring.

Unplug the plug and wrap it with tape. Don't forget the note stating that telephone service is supplied by a VoIP solution.

Old 11-11-16, 07:19 PM
C
This is what mine looks like.
Name:  phone-nid.jpg
Views: 1862
Size:  36.0 KB
The two white wires at the bottom goes into my house. Looks like these two phone jacks are already disconnected.

Old 11-11-16, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,348 Votes on 1,246 Posts
You are correct.... your house is already disconnected from the phone company lines.

Old 11-12-16, 06:49 AM
C
So now what? So inside the house, do I then disconnect those two white wires/cables from outside and connect the cables from Ooma to them?

Old 11-12-16, 10:43 AM
F
From post #8, second paragraph:

The "spare" jack on the Ooma box MAY be the correct jack to use but it may not, you will probably need to use a standard modular telephone cable between the wall outlet and the jack on the Ooma box where your telephone is currently plugged into.
I can't write it any simpler than this.

Old 11-26-16, 10:05 PM
L
Yes You Can use your Ooma to wire the whole house!

I have done so using the existing old house phone wiring network to field 2 lines of ooma telo and ooma linx. It has worked great. However, it requires some basic knowledge of electrical, electronics and some trouble shooting from time to time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: