Replace coax with ethernet

Old 05-28-17, 08:28 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace coax with ethernet

I was hoping to replace a coax cable with ethernet from my homerun box to the study. I tried taping the wires together and pulling but it seemed the connection of the coax was too large, either for staples or hole to pull through. I ended up cutting coax connector off and taping coax to ethernet and pulling this way. It went great until the last 8 feet. Something got stuck and the tip of the coax pulled out of the sleeve and the tape released the coax so now i have ethernet cable run from my home run box to approximately 6-8 feet above the the termination box. Without drilling/cutting a hole is there an easy/recommended method to fish out the cable? Fearing it may still be stuck, should I pull it back towards the homerun box a little bit and see if I can then feed the cable outside of the staple down to my box? Looking for any advice. Thanks.

Old 05-28-17, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,351 Votes on 1,249 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's pretty hard to answer your question but if the coax was installed when the house was built.... it most likely got caught in a staple.

When homes are built... even the low voltage cables need to be fastened to the studs.

What I do when I know the cable is stapled but it's loose..... I strip the coax down to the center conductor and make a hook out of it. I remove the outer jacket from the cat5 and fold the 8 wires over the hook and tape so that there is no place where the splice is larger than the coax jacket and then pull it. It does not always work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: