Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

"FBI mobile unit" wifi

OH

10-12-17, 05:39 AM   #1 (permalink)  
"FBI mobile unit" wifi

A guy I know said he saw "FBI Mobile Unit" pop up when his iPad was searching for connections. I'm thinking it's a neighbor trying to be clever. If it really was the Fed's, they wouldn't identify themselves.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-12-17, 05:59 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Could be a virus. Locally a pervert got a similar notice on his pc so he turned himself in. The police didn't even have that pedophile on their radar.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NC

10-12-17, 06:07 AM   #3 (permalink)  
When I'm bored at the airport I'll turn the WiFi on my phone on and look for funny device names. I have to go "bla" though when I see someone's mom like CourtneysMom. Really, should a adult's identity be based on their children?

Forum Topic Moderator

LA

10-12-17, 06:42 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Because I was a bit worried about wireless connections when I set up my first one, I named mine "TC's Virus". I figured no one would dare click on that & attempt to connect to it.

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

10-12-17, 06:50 AM   #5 (permalink)  
Yes, clever names are common, FBI mobile unit is one I have seen before as well.

Pilot Dane, you've apparently never heard of child worship.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

10-12-17, 08:29 AM   #6 (permalink)  
I'm sure that someone used that name to discourage others from attempting to connect or hack it. After all, you're using Bo Didley's name.

OH

10-12-17, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)  
You are correct, sir. (But there is a possibility that my name is Elias McDaniel, also. )

Super Moderator

AZ

10-12-17, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)  
You are correct, sir. (But there is a possibility that my name is Elias McDaniel, also. )
Not near Brunswick OH there's not. Hey, do the buzzards still come back to Hinkley?

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

OH

10-12-17, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)  
Quit spying on me, Mr Super Moderator. (What if my number is unlisted?)

Buzzards still come back to Hinckley every year. (A little inside information - they could arrive up to 2-3 weeks early, but none are "identified" until the Official Buzzard Spotter says "there's a buzzard" on March 15th.) Don't tell anyone...

Super Moderator

AZ

10-12-17, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)  
Lol...I wondered about that...I mean come on! Mar 15th EVERY year?

Hey, I'm not spying...it's the Interwebs itself.

Btw...I'm allowed anyway, I'm a Buckeye as well. North of Dayton, Miami County.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

CT

10-19-17, 04:57 PM   #11 (permalink)  
Funny WiFi Names

Good timing of this thread

I saw one at the Dr.'s office the other day named "FBI Surveillance Van"

In the area where a friend lives it is almost 100% the default CableVision (Optimum) default router SSID (Network name)

Where I live it is mostly the same default router name of "MySpectrumWiFi**-2G" or -5G or MyCharterWiFi**-2G or -5G for the older routers.

Where the ** is unique to each router and -2G is for 2.4 GHZ band and the -5G for the 5 GHZ band

I noticed that some ISPS use their routers (That are at the customers house) as a WiFi hotspot for anyone who has an account with that ISP. I don't know the specifics but I take that as a network security risk. It is part of the TOS for using their router and cannot be disabled (Easily)

The two ISPS I know of are CableVision (Optimum) and ComCast (Xfinity)

10-19-17, 06:22 PM   #12 (permalink)  
The MAC filtering option in the router should block any unwanted wifi connections. Enable it & enter the MAC addresses of only your wireless devices.

Group Moderator

NJ

10-19-17, 06:25 PM   #13 (permalink)  
Yes...the cable companies do provide a hotspot to their system if you are a subscriber using your modem/router. The router is split into two distinct sections.... public and private.

~ Pete ~

PA

10-20-17, 09:01 AM   #14 (permalink)  
Interesting, I'd noticed that the new verizon fios basic routers, have dual wifi system baked in,
normal private wifi along with an optional guest wifi. -both can be password protected-

Hadn't occurred to me that since the router is leased, somebody could include a dual wifi setup for public access.
I can see how that makes sense for small business and or enterprise customers, who want to provide customers with
wifi access, but also keep their network separate and secure, but I'd be a bit concerned with a residential hotspot, especially if it's not fully disclosed.

10-20-17, 09:09 AM   #15 (permalink)  
Let's get more specific. FIOS used Actiontec routers. Now I believe that they switched to Qualcom. So which of those routers or both have that split wifi?

Search this Thread