Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

SIM card

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-31-17, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)  
SIM card

Several times over the last month my cheap flip phone has quit working. It displays the message - insert SIM card. If you turn the phone off and back on it goes back to working normally. any ideas on what is going on? It's a consumer cellular Huawei phone.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

10-31-17, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)  
I have no experience with that phone but have you tried removing and reinstalling the sim card? Usually it's just a poor contact. If you continue to have trouble you can clean the contacts on your sim card with a pencil eraser. If dropping or shaking your phone seems to cause the problem you can stick a piece or two of tape to the sim card so it fits snugly and can't move.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-31-17, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)  
I'll try removing/installing the card. While the phone has been dropped a time or three when it quit earlier today I was talking on it and the line went dead. Thanks for the tip about the eraser.

NY

10-31-17, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Not an uncommon problem. Usually removal of battery or a cold restart will resolve the problem.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-31-17, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Might be a common problem but not for me. Seems like it happened a year or so ago and then several times in the last month. Shutting off/turning on the phone has always fixed it, I was just concerned about it being a re occurring issue.

10-31-17, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)  
I vote for Dane's solution if a reboot doesn't work.

Search this Thread