SIM card

Old 10-31-17, 08:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
SIM card

Several times over the last month my cheap flip phone has quit working. It displays the message - insert SIM card. If you turn the phone off and back on it goes back to working normally. any ideas on what is going on? It's a consumer cellular Huawei phone.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-17, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
I have no experience with that phone but have you tried removing and reinstalling the sim card? Usually it's just a poor contact. If you continue to have trouble you can clean the contacts on your sim card with a pencil eraser. If dropping or shaking your phone seems to cause the problem you can stick a piece or two of tape to the sim card so it fits snugly and can't move.

Old 10-31-17, 12:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'll try removing/installing the card. While the phone has been dropped a time or three when it quit earlier today I was talking on it and the line went dead. Thanks for the tip about the eraser.

Old 10-31-17, 02:02 PM
Not an uncommon problem. Usually removal of battery or a cold restart will resolve the problem.

Old 10-31-17, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Might be a common problem but not for me. Seems like it happened a year or so ago and then several times in the last month. Shutting off/turning on the phone has always fixed it, I was just concerned about it being a re occurring issue.

Old 10-31-17, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I vote for Dane's solution if a reboot doesn't work.

Old 12-08-17, 12:01 PM
My Samsung Galaxy S5 had a similar issue. Sometimes the screen would go black, other times I would get a message saying check the SIM card. Rebooting the phone would usually fix the issue, although temporarily. It ended up being a software issue, which eventually fixed itself (after an update). I was about to trash the phone. Point being, it could be software related even though you're getting a SIM card message.

Old 12-08-17, 12:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know anything about the software in my phone. I doubt it would get updated since I don't pay for any internet access BUT the good news is I've not had any more issues with the phone ...... keeping fingers crossed

Old 12-08-17, 08:47 PM
Remove the SIM card and the battery and leave it sit for a while. A few minutes. Errors sometimes will persist in computer equipment for so long as there's power applied.