Need help with troubleshooting POTS

Old 12-20-17, 04:27 PM
Need help with troubleshooting POTS

Last year ATT installed a new NID. At the time I was only using one phone jack and so I did not check any of the others. Fast forward to this week and I was trying to plug a new phone in my daughters room. No dial tone. Checked 6 other jacks, no dial tone. Tech team wants $75 just to look and see if it is an outside issue. I am wondering if the phone had multiple lines at one point? I know that the previous owners also had some sort of DSL or ethernet at some point as well. I have posted a picture of my NID. The orange and white twist are unattached, as well as the black and yellow wires. Any advice or troubleshooting tips would be appreciated. Google has not gotten me very far.

Attached Images  

Last edited by PJmax; 12-20-17 at 06:41 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-17, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Are the wires at the working jack connected through including the ones on the jack. What about other jacks? What color wires on the tip and ring (red and green terminals) of the non working jack?

Old 12-20-17, 04:59 PM
I will take a picture but the jacks have red, green, yellow and black wires connected.

I am not sure what your first question is asking, though?

Old 12-20-17, 05:13 PM
The photo with the yellow painted background is the working jack and the photo with the purple painted background is one of the non-working jacks.

Attached Images   
Old 12-20-17, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
Do you have the same color wires connected to the tip and ring terminals at the non working jak as the working jack?

Old 12-20-17, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
It looks like the green pair is connected to line 1 on the NID. This may feed a dedicated jack.

The rest of your house is on old wiring. Red and green are the primary pair. It looks like red and green are connected to the blue pair at the NID. That could signify that the house red/green was fed from a different location before.

If you DON'T have an active alarm using the phone line..... cut the crimps off the red/green and blue pair. The red and green wires will need to connect to the same place the green pairs is connected. Follow how the green is installed in the clip. Polarity should make no difference.

Old 12-20-17, 07:25 PM
I guess I will have to search for my voltmeter because I am not sure how else to tell. The jack that is functional looks different than any other I have seen. I feel like the emoji you have banging my head against the wall. Ha.

Old 12-20-17, 07:33 PM
I replied before I read PJmax because I had not refreshed the screen. Also making fudge currently, haha. I will get back to this momentarily.

Old 12-20-17, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
When you have service connected.... whether by the phone company or the cable company... they do the minimum required work. The cable companies are actually worse. Many times people switch from one company to another so that the phone lines in the house need to be moved to what ever is the current service.

Since you didn't tell them when connecting to make all locations live.... they didn't.
Now it will cost you.

Old 12-20-17, 07:44 PM
The red and green wire ARE connected to the blue pair at the NID. Does it seem like these are what needs to be connected to make the other jacks live? The tech said that if they came out and found that the external wiring in the NID was not correct, (I specifically asked if it was possible that there was another line/circuit that was not connected) there would be no charge for them to fix it. However, if everything was connected properly then it would be an internal issue and they would charge me $75 for coming out to tell me that. Frustrating since they said that they could tell instantly just by looking. I did send them an email picture of my NID also but I am not expecting them to want to tell me without coming out. Fingers crossed! It is a small local company.

Old 12-20-17, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
No... they are not connected. The NID there is two line connection blocks. The top one with the green wire and the bottom one for line 2 with no wiring.

The blue wire and the red/green are connected together like I previously posted but not connected to the block where the green wire is which should be the source of your phone service.

There are a lot of things that "could have been down" there. I can only go by what I can see.

Old 12-20-17, 08:59 PM
Yes! I understood what you said but did not repeat back properly. I really only know what I have learned on google! So it does seem like to me also that connect the red/green wires to the NID might fix the issue. I am not sure that I am confident to try that myself. I don't know how to remove the joiners (crimps?, not sure of the lingo there) and also the red and green wires are not long enough to reach the clip for line 2. And what the heck would the blue/white wire be for? Old DSL line? We do not have an alarm.

Old 12-20-17, 09:08 PM
Group Moderator
The phone company brought the line to your house via a cable to that NID. Previously there may have been a cable modem or something from another company that wasn't in the same location. A piece of cable was added to bridge the two locations.

I install alarms system and am constantly doing phone rewiring work. My customers are constantly changing to different companies. I use toners and tracers to ID the wiring.

You've got plenty of the blue/white pair. Leave it spliced to the green/red but cut it so it's long enough to reach the green block. You may have to connect the red/green and the blue pair to the green block.

Old 12-20-17, 10:04 PM
Hmmm. After thinking about it more, that blue and white wire might be our internet connection. Are you saying I should cut the blue and white wire to attach it to the line 2? This is sounding more like I need to have them come out. Boo. Since we have lived here (a few years) we have only had ATT work on our lines in collaboration with a small local company. However, I have found ATT cutting lines from other providers (old owners used Comcast), etc. and we have had a lot of problems with our phone line sounding bad which resulted in them placing this new NID box along with some new wiring last year.

Anyway, the blue/white wire, green/white wire, and orange/white wire are all coming out of the same "cable tube." The red, green, black and yellow wires are all coming out of a different "cable tube" on the bottom. So it seems as you said, that they are splicing old wires to new. But it is all spliced together and not connected to the NID box at Line 2?

Old 12-20-17, 10:23 PM
Group Moderator
You don't have a line 2.... do you ?
Line 2 means second phone number.

The red, green. yellow and black wires are the original in the house. Probably put in when the house was built. The 4 pair cable is relatively new. Your line one block (green wire) has provisions for four pairs to connect there. The green is one pair. The red/green could be a second pair and the white/blue could be a third pair.

Old 12-21-17, 03:52 AM
No. I don't have a second line in the house but I do have an internet connection.

Old 06-05-18, 02:24 AM
Okay, let's go back to the NID. There's a two pair Red-Green-Yellow-Black going back into the wall. That's going to feed the one working jack. All the other jacks don't appear to daisy-chain (the most common way to run phone cable in old houses). That suggests that they come out at another, older, NID.

On the outside wall where the NID is, are there any other boxes? It might be an old tin box, like 2" by 2", or it could be a newer plastic box, etc. but it will be near the NID in the photo. If you could take a photo of that wall and post it, that would help.

I would bet that the original RGYB cables were star-configured to the old NID, and then one of them was pulled out and used at the new NID for the One Working Jack. That's rare, star configuration. Normally they make a daisy-chain.

If that's the case, it could be as simple as installing a short cable to bridge from the old NID to the new NID.

Old 07-15-18, 04:23 PM
I wonder if this was ever resolved. I can't tell from the photo where the wh/bl is going, looks like maybe the pair is crimped to something. If there was a 2nd line at some point, it appears it was on the wh/gn - or vice versa. Either way paralleling the wh/bn & wh/gn pairs would get the line to all jacks - including those that were previously on a different line.

Old 07-15-18, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
I'd imagine this has been resolved as this thread was from last year.

Old 07-15-18, 06:26 PM
Oh yea - now I see the it was started last December!