what to do with 2G phone

Old 03-11-18, 04:55 PM
what to do with 2G phone

I have a nice CAT B25 feature phone that's still perfectly good but the 2G network technology is pretty much not compatible with any of the cell phone networks anymore. I notice that there's still plenty people trying to sell their old GSM 2G phones on eBay but wonder why anyone these days would pay much of anything or want for any reason to buy a phone that uses the pretty much obsolete 2G.
Any comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-18, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
ATT has already shut down their 2G service. Verizon has just set a tentative date of 12/31/2019 for their 2G shutdown although they have claimed they would support 2G into 2021.

That phone is not compatible with CDMA service (Verizon). It would have to be on someones GSM network like T-mobile or a Trac Phone type provider.

Sell it quick before it becomes a brick.
It would make a fine collectors item.

The new Cat is called a GSM quad band unit.

Old 03-11-18, 06:53 PM
Sell it quick before it becomes a brick.
It would make a fine collectors item.
Okay maybe somebody with T-Mobile could use it then, based on the info you relayed, thanks.
Yeah I do know tracfone doesn't work with 2G anymore; my wife had a tracfone and they made her update about 6 months ago to a 3G.
From what I have read (which surely isn't everything) most if not all major and even minor carriers don't support 2G anymore. Perhaps not the case with T-Mobile though, so if so I'll go ahead and put it up for sale.

Old 03-12-18, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
I can't believe there is a market for that phone unless someone is collecting them or maybe as stage props. T-Mobile may still support 2G but I can't imagine they will be for long. I'd cancel the contract and give it to a child to play with as a toy. I can't imagine selling it would be worth the cost of shipping.

Old 03-12-18, 05:12 PM
Basically, you've got a rugged shop or garage radio / MP3 player / voice recorder / camera.

If the phone has WiFI, then you can probably use it for streaming music etc.
Depending on which Bluetooth profiles the phone has, you might get data over bluetooth.
I've done this with an old Palm Centro that I used as a shop radio/web browser. It got the internet bluetooth signal from an old android phone running PDAnet, which shared the WiFi internet.

I keep the old phone around, with an 8GB chip, for grimy things that I don't want to risk with a newer phone, like getting photos of part numbers when I'm crawling under the car or inside the furnace, or taking a voice memo when I'm measuring something, taking photos as something as it's disassembled or playing MP3s when I'm mowing the lawn.

Old 03-12-18, 06:36 PM
Ok then thanks for the replies. I might keep it around then and just use it for all that other stuff, like Hal.