Can "At Rest" data be stolen via shared wifi?

Old 03-22-19, 06:38 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can "At Rest" data be stolen via shared wifi?

Specific use case: A nasty tenant who has access to wifi.
If my cell phone is connected to the wifi any data I send over the wifi is interceptable.
What about the "At Rest" data, google logins, app logins, etc?
In other words, once I connect to the network, can a culprit already on the network root into my phone and grab all the data?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-19, 06:56 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 72 Votes on 68 Posts
It depends on how secure the device is that's connecting.

Typically, an iPhone is considered pretty secure, except what might be shared via AirDrop or similar sharing tools.

A Windows computer can be similarly secure, but might often have a workgroup folder open, or other sharing features turned on. Also, if they can guess your password, then they can likely access everything on the computer via the shared network.

Nowadays it's pretty hard to root into an iPhone or Android phone remotely. BUT, if it were me, I wouldn't want anyone on my local network (wifi) who I don't trust.
Many routers these days allow you to set up 2 separate WiFi networks (one is usually called guest), and it's intended specifically for this type of issue. You might be able to let your tenant connect to the guest network and keep yours separate.

Old 03-22-19, 07:07 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Only high tech can invade a router wifi signal and I don't worry about tenant sharing. If you have access to the physical router, you can simply plug your personal router into a spare port on the back and have your own private network via your password to your router. This is a inexpensive way to insure you are not being hacked. The manager will not object to your own device.