Doorbell chirps randomly, even with box removed

Old 04-24-19, 08:06 PM
Doorbell chirps randomly, even with box removed

Ever since my doorbell was rung a couple months ago, it has emitted a random chirp/beep, almost like a smoke alarm. (It is definitively not the smoke alarm or carbon monoxide detector though). Happens a few times a day, or sometimes not at all (that I am aware of) for a few days.

It was somewhat annoying at first, but bearable, until one night it started doing it repeatedly. So I managed to get the box cover off and saw the wires were eroded. Turned off the circuit breaker and cut the wires. The noise stopped. For a couple days. Then again with the random chirping! Coming from the wires hanging out of the wall.

Will it only be fixed by cutting into the wall to remove the transformer? (Don't really need a doorbell, to be honest) Or is anyone familiar with the situation and thinks that simply removing the doorbell cover and looking for stuck contacts, or some wiring issue could do the trick?

This is not something I'm going to attempt myself, but the electrician I had over for an estimate was stumped, and wanted to charge me $289 just to "look". So would like to have some idea of where the issue lies before throwing my money away on a pro who isn't necessarily capable, or honest.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-19, 09:27 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Unless you have a ghost there..... cutting the wires to a device kills it. So if you've cut the wires to the doorbell..... unless it has batteries in it..... you are not hearing it. You could post a picture of the doorbell.

How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 04-25-19, 06:08 AM
Impossible that I'm "not hearing it" lol. It occurs directly above my by head when it goes off when I am underneath, and there is absolutely nothing else it could be.
Can't post pics from my phone, besides which, how will that help if my situation is "impossible"?

Old 04-25-19, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
I install alarm systems. I get calls routinely from customers telling me the smoke detectors are chirping. With a monitored/wired system..... they can't chirp..... they have no sounder. Typically it comes down to a C.O. detector behind a coach or an old abandoned smoke detector with a low battery. That chirp can carry all thru a room......and actually thru several rooms.

Another "chirp" call I got turned out to be one of those water detector sensors that sits on the floor.
It was heard on a completely different floor.

I'm not saying it's impossible to hear chirping..... just not from a disconnected doorbell.

Old 04-25-19, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Will it only be fixed by cutting into the wall to remove the transformer?
The transformer should not be in the wall unless installed by an idiot. Most likely locations are off an attic light or a breaker panel. When the chirping strats try turning off the 15a single pole breakers one at a time. If one affects it than truy to isolate what area it serves.

Old 04-30-19, 09:33 AM
Doorbells ar lo power, so I guess if you short the 2 wires, nothing worse then a defct transformer may be the result, probably nothing.

My guess is that it something else make the sound unless the ringer has a battery.