Mobile transmitter question for ex-para

Old 05-11-19, 04:40 AM
Mobile transmitter question for ex-para

I am new to this site and can not seem to find how to ask questions about mobile transmitters. Not a very good start.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-19, 06:40 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums from the UK.

I started you in a new thread. Ask away.

Old 05-12-19, 12:22 AM
I have a device using GSM text only and the signal passes about 20ft above the ground but above where I need it. So if I elevate my device to that hight it works OK but inconvenient. There is a transmitter that has GSM about a mile to the north west and transmitter to the south east also having GSM, both are in church spires. I have read how I can erect my own tower with a outdoor and indoor antennas plus some other bits and pieces. Last year I thought if I installed a Satellite dish I would solve my problems but I was to learn GSM or Wifi comes from towers not satellite dishes but it works OK and I can verify the information I get from my device over the internet without go find a signal. I have tried to get a smart phone App to tell where the best signal is coming from and I know the App I need but when I go to the download page I don’t see the one I need. I hope some one can please put me on the correct path on building this tower and thanks for your help already. I am in England.

Old 05-12-19, 11:18 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not exactly sure what it is you are trying to do.

If you are looking to install an antenna on a tower to hit that site..... you'd need a specific antenna dedicated to that frequency. It would not be a satellite dish.

Old 05-12-19, 04:15 PM
Group Moderator
Are you asking how to construct a tower or are you asking for radio assistance?

Old 05-13-19, 02:57 AM
Wifi tower

Thank you for the reply. I am asking how to construct a tower, I found out I could not get wifi from a dish. I know where the providers towers are located and I am waiting for them to tell me what frequency they are on. I need to know what I have to purchase and construct the tower such as instructions etc.. and also where can I download an App that gives me a better of the direction and strength of signal.

Old 05-13-19, 03:43 AM
I suggest that you look into getting a mobile signal booster, and place the antenna portion of the unit on a tower or wherever you can get coverage nearby.
The website at the link below sells them in the UK. You can pick which provider you are using and go from there.
I am sure there are other similar vendors available as well.

https://www.mobilesignalboosters.co.uk/

Old 05-13-19, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
Wifi, cellular/GSM and satellite Internet are all totally different things. You keep saying wifi but it sounds like you are having trouble with a weak cellular signal.

I live in a remote location and my cellular signal is weak. I installed a repeater/signal booster. I have a high gain directional antenna mounted on the roof aimed at the cell tower. Coax cable carries the signal down to a mains powered signal amplifier. Then another coax cable connects to a second antenna inside our house that re-broadcasts the cellular signal. This system is totally separate and independent from my wifi.

Your cellular provide likely will not be able to tell you what frequency you are on. All modern phones are capable of operating on different bands and frequencies and all carriers use multiple bands. How many bands depends on your carrier, location... UK GSM operates in the 900 or 1800 bands but I also suspect your phone and carrier are also using the LTE bands 800, 1800 and 2600 MHz.

Old 05-13-19, 08:54 AM
The signal that works my device is about 20ft up outside so I have to put the device on a platform at that hight and it works but not convenient. The device is GSM and it picks up information then sends this info to up to 5 mobile phones text only. My provider GiffGaff which is part of 02 will not give me the frequency etc.. so I may be stuck at that. I would like to know more detail on you setup if possible and thank you for the reply.

Old 05-13-19, 09:47 AM
Thank you for your reply, as I have stated I can get a working signal for my GSM device 20ft up but I need it to work at about 8ft above the ground and inside. The device picks up information and then sends it to up to 5 mobile phones text only. I don’t mind spending money to get things working as long as it does work. I am on GiffGaff part of 02 maybe you could suggest what would be best for me.

Old 05-13-19, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Try contacting a cell phone booster company. Engr3000 already provided a link to one retailer in the UK.

One thing to keep in mind. The weaker signal you receive the more powerful booster or higher gain receiving antenna you will need. Booster/repeaters can get expensive but the more powerful (and more expensive) ones provide more boost for a stronger signal, better call quality and higher data speeds. You also need a more powerful booster the larger you want to cover in the house.

This page is from a North American company but their website does a good job explaining how the systems work: https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/all...r-signal-guide