cell phone rates

Old 07-24-19, 08:09 AM
Received 53 Votes on 48 Posts
cell phone rates

I need to add a cell phone in the not too distant future, and know that it will be Verizon so obviously need to talk with them at some point, but wondering if anyone would mind filling me in a bit on these 3G, 4G, and 5G things, which I think anyway are what drives the bill. When they say "unlimited", I assume that's phone minutes, right? And then this 3G, 4G, 5G thing is data? And nobody can really nail down exactly how much data is needed because it's going to vary depending on whether you are looking at email or the weather or whatever, versus listening to music or watching movies? So if I want to use a phone for a phone, maybe check email once or twice a day, check the weather a couple of times, and maybe look at the news headlines, do I need anything more than a pretty basic plan? I think that I'm pretty much on track except that I hear friends and others who I figure are somewhat like me as far as not needing to listen to music all the time or download video's talking about their 5G and whatever phones, and don't know if I'm missing something or if these people are simply taken in by the hype of having the biggest thing available whether they need it or not. Well, sorry, guess I got into a little bit of a rant there, didn't really mean to, but for some reason this is complicated for me, so not easy to get a good handle on it.

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

07-24-19, 08:21 AM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
Unlimited can apply to either talk, text or data. You have to look at the plans you are considering to know.

How much data has nothing to do with 3, 4 or 5G. Those are just the technologies used to get the data to you and how fast the data can be transmitted. And, don't read too much into 5G. Most of the country doesn't have it yet and it could take a couple years before it's available nationwide.

How much data you need depends on what you are going to do. Streaming videos consumes a lot of data while texts and Emails use very little. From what you've said a low level plan should suffice. When I travel and buy sim cards 1 gig of data can easily last me several weeks just checking weather, Email and using Google Maps.

Old 07-24-19, 08:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
Unlimited can apply to either talk, text or data. You have to look at the plans you are considering to know.

How much data has nothing to do with 3, 4 or 5G. Those are just the technologies used to get the data to you and how fast the data can be transmitted. And, don't read too much into 5G. Most of the country doesn't have it yet and it could take a couple years before it's available nationwide.

How much data you need depends on what you are going to do. Streaming videos consumes a lot of data while texts and Emails use very little. From what you've said a low level plan should suffice. When I travel and buy sim cards 1 gig of data can easily last me several weeks just checking weather, Email and using Google Maps.

aka pedro, Shadeladie voted this post useful.
Old 07-24-19, 12:11 PM
Received 53 Votes on 48 Posts
Good explanation, thank you. I guess that I can't be critical because the last time I was at the Verizon store, when we got a replacement for the wife, the guys were very helpful and sold us just what she wanted. In fact I don't think they sold us anything because all she wanted was another flip phone and I think it was no charge. Nevertheless, my perception of a lot of places today, particularly electronics, is that they try to sell you more than you need, so just trying to sort things out a bit before I go in. And this time in particular might be a really big step because I'm thinking of transferring my home number over and "cutting the cable" so want to get it right. Anyway, again, thank you, that helped a lot.