Western Electric 317P Wall Phone

Old 11-16-19, 01:27 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Western Electric 317P Wall Phone

Sister bought me this yesterday, heavy little bugger at 20.5#.

Name:  Phone Front.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  155.1 KB

Name:  Phone Back.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  184.3 KB

When I turn the crank the bells ring so that works. I would like to hook my phone line up and see if I get a dial tone - I don't want to ruin anything.

Upper right is (5) terminals, Line 1, GND, Line 2, COND and COND. I've watched many videos today and not one says where to put my two wires. They do mention you don't want to turn the crank if it is hooked to the phone line, someone said the magneto can put out 70 AC volts.

Sure would appreciate it if someone knows and I won't ruin something.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-19, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 406 Votes on 382 Posts
You can't hook that up to a modern day phone line...... if you even have one.
If you're on cable for phone service that phone will not work without rewiring and probably a matching network.

Old 11-20-19, 07:15 AM
I do have a Frontier landline now $$$ but hope to move within the month then I will get Mediacom phone whatever that means.

Here is a short video from 2012 where he put in some sort of relay to stop the back feed, not sure just what he hooked where.

https://youtu.be/_mwQBl8OpzE?t=9

If I could do the relay then have it so the bells ring when someone calls that would be plenty good, don't need to talk on it.

I've been trying to get a clear picture of the schematic, camera won't cooperate, I'll get it.

Thanks

Old 11-20-19, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lucky man! that is a nice one!

Ofcourse it is possible to modify the circuit, but not use it as it is.
even when the forum has rotary in its name, you will be guided trough step by step there: Classic Rotary Phones Forum - Index
You may also get e solution by reading this (look at page 15): https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...2oQLt_uCNpsbNU

dsk

PS

I would probably solved it in a third way.

DS

Old 11-20-19, 01:15 PM
May the schematics be like this: https://www.collectorsweekly.com/sto...wiring-diagram

Old 11-20-19, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 406 Votes on 382 Posts
If you just want the bell to ring. Disconnect the internal wiring and connect the red and green wires from a phone cord directly to the bell. It should ring as normal.

Old 11-21-19, 12:12 AM
That is almost true, you ned a capacitor (condenser) in series with the ringer.
Preferably 0.47 microFarad unpolarized and able to handle a voltage of at least 200V. If you take one from an other telephone it could be up to 1 microFarad and that is OK.

If you just connect the phone to a line, (red and green) add a capacitor in series with the ringer and put in a battery of 3-4.5V it should work.

Cranking may kill whats in the other end of the line, so I will suggest to disconnect the generator.

dsk

Old 11-22-19, 03:51 AM
Not that one but clicking on the link in the first comment is pretty close.

317 Wood Wall phone diagram glue on - Old Phone Shop Store

My numbers top left are smudged but last 3 are 000 and mine is issue-6.

Picture looks exact, writing below is arranged different but says pretty much the same thing.

Quick look through the book says if you crank it the bells should NOT ring so it was rewired somewhere.

Talking with my realtor yesterday it sounds like I'll be moving in a couple weeks where I'll get Mediacom phone then I will get to figuring this out.

Thanks very much, interesting reading.

Old 11-22-19, 09:36 AM
I would go for a simple solution, just using batteries. 3xAAA alacaline. For me they lasts about one year or more.

The capacitor is available on internet, or you crack one out of a defect LED bulb for use on 120-240V It works here :-)

Attached Images  
Old 11-22-19, 12:40 PM
Interesting. Looks like connect phone lines to Line 1 and Line 2 then the capacitor to ground and top Cond? Will these work?

https://www.amazon.com/47uF-13X20-Al...4450027&sr=8-3

I just noticed the condenser in the schematic has been taken out of this phone but the two wires for the battery are there.

Thanks again.

Old 11-22-19, 01:35 PM
Connect line to L1 and L2 Since ringers red wire goes to L2 I suggest Red (ring ) to L2,
Then Green has to go to L1. From L1 you have the capacitor to the other ringer wire. since you need no gnd, this terminal is ready if it is suitable to use it.

The capacitor has to be non polarized, so an electrolytic capacitor are not suitable.

The capacitor is there mainly to stop DC from running trough the ringer motor. when you go off hook the DC will go trough the induction coil, and the receiver, this is not perfect, but will work. The DC current will tell the exchange that the phone has came off hook. To power the transmitter (microphone) you will still need a battery.

If you crank the generator you may ruin the electronics in the other end of the line.

I' am looking for alternative ways to do this. If you want it to ring you will need the capacitor regardless of how we solve it.

dsk

Old 11-22-19, 01:58 PM
After some more thinking, I have figured out a way to use it without battery, and where the generator are shorted so it may not do any harm.

The line should be connected to the battey terminals, and L1-L2 is shorted.

Now the phone works in hence of talking/listening. To get the ringer working it should be in series with a capacitor (C) and connected across the line.

The new drawing is more schematic.

Attached Images  
Old 11-25-19, 08:58 AM
I'm sorry but I spent hours this weekend looking for capacitors, I just don't understand all the abbreviations etc.

This one work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-pc-47uf-2....c101111.m2109

If using batteries is better I'm fine with that, lots of rechargeables around my house.

Thanks again.

Old 11-26-19, 02:06 AM
Those should work fine, buy 2 in case of the need of increasing the value.

I have even been thinking more about circuitries, and hva one more idea, witch should even be better than what we already has been looking at.

Try one capacitor first, if the voice is weak, put on one more in parallel with the first.

Attached Images  
Old 11-26-19, 02:09 AM
As you see above the P coil on the transformer are not used, but the impedance match will be better, and the circuit is pretty equal to a CB telephone from Kellogg Grabaphone of the same era.

Last edited by d_s_k; 11-26-19 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Added a word