Communication between buildings

Old 02-15-20, 07:22 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Communication between buildings

At work we have a phone that works as a wired intercom between 3 buildings. All fairly close together. But the wires are all shot and we are looking for a wireless system. If the doors are all closed in the one building you get no cell phone signal inside. I looked around for intcom systems but there seems to be only one design. Any other ideas that we could use. We need 3 or 4 units and be able to talk back and forth. I

Old 02-15-20, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
They make basic intercoms for a home that use the power lines but they don't usually work between buildings. There are a few commercial wireless intercom companies but they will be on the more expensive side.

I was looking around and found this company.
Looks like it may be a good alternative to running wiring... Commercial wireless intercom

Old 05-26-20, 04:18 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Late coming to the question, I don't usually come here to these forums often, which is a bad thing.

What's the real distance between the buildings? Can you explain a little more about the current system? Name/model? And why do you say the wires are 'all shot'?

I've done electronics, phone, & radio tech for years; no offense meant, but I never like such phrases as 'all shot' and other phrases. I need descriptions of what it's supposed to do and what it is doing.

Old 05-26-20, 04:45 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Right now we have 3 rotary phones that are hooked to the office. They are set up if someone in the office rings that line all 3 ring. Or you can pick up one of the 3 and it rings into the office. They are just linked with phone wires. The furthest one is 200 feet from the office. It's a very old setup

Old 05-27-20, 04:11 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
OK, cool.

You didn't say why the wiring is 'shot'; are conversations noisy/ full of static, distortion, low volume, things like that?

I'll say that a good 'premise phone tech' could probably make quick work of it, but those folks are kinda rare nowadays; they're generally retired from the phone company by now, and the young kids coming in aren't learning the old stuff, instead they are learning networking, IP addresses, etc.

Is there a local or regional business phone service company near you? The kind of business that specializes in office phone systems, PBX'es?

Oh, and tell me about the physical connections for the phones; are they jacks, or hardwired? Usually in a business there is s 'phone closet' where this kid of stuff resides, common for computer network equipment to be placed there now.

Souinds like an interesting challenge.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: