iPhone text notification inconsistencies.

Old 02-25-20, 02:52 PM
R
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
iPhone text notification inconsistencies.

Can't figure out what's not set right: I have an iPhone 6s Plus, my business partner has an older iPhone 5, my partner's wife has a newer iPhone, we're all on the same AT&T Family Plan. Something has changed recently whereby my partner no longer gets an audible notification to my texts, altho he does receive the texts. He DOES however get the audible when his wife and others text him. It's almost as if my phone has been programmed to NOT cause an audible notification on his phone alone, as my other friends all get an audible when I text them. Any clues??

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-20, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
I phone 5 is being phased out and no longer reliable from what I read. Delayed texts, e mails, etc etc.. I had to be 6 or newer by the new year with my carrier.. I had an i phone SE.

Old 02-25-20, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
ATT is Volte and after 1/1/20 problems may arise with i5 phones

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203078

Old 02-25-20, 06:18 PM
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Is it possible your partner's phone doesn't have you in its Contacts list?

There's Settings > Messages > Filter Unknown Senders which blocks notifications from non-Contacts. Seems unlikely, but it's all I can think of.

Old 02-26-20, 12:22 PM
T
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Not familiar with the iPhone, but check your name/identifier in contacts to see if a nonexistent or silent ringtone has been assigned.

Old 02-26-20, 06:37 PM
R
Thanks gentlemen, I'll check those items.....BTW I found out his phone is an iPhone 6S. Also curious that some of the names on his list of received texts, just to the left, is a little crescent moon symbol. My name has it, along with several others. The only thing in Settings with that symbol I see is the Do Not Disturb, but on both of our phones it's turned off. Plus, some of the names with that symbol still get an audible tone.

Old 02-26-20, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks gentlemen, I'll check those items.....BTW I found out his phone is an iPhone 6S. Also curious that some of the names on his list of received texts, just to the left, is a little crescent moon symbol. My name has it, along with several others. The only thing in Settings with that symbol I see is the Do Not Disturb, but on both of our phones it's turned off. Plus, some of the names with that symbol still get an audible tone.
when in a group chat if you see the 1/2 moon on someones name it means they have hide alerts activated.

SuperSquirrel voted this post useful.
Old 02-26-20, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Old 02-27-20, 05:24 AM
S
Received 17 Votes on 10 Posts
Lawrosa is correct, if your business partner has put your text conversation on Do Not Disturb mode (can apply to individual or group texts), your partner won't get an audible notification.

They can either put their entire phone on DND mode, or just individual conversations. In this case, it sounds like the whole phone isn't on DND mode, but the little moon in your text conversation means that the specific conversation with you is set to DND.

Under the phone DND settings, there is a way to allow certain people to always call, even if the phone is set to DND mode. I don't know if that would also override the DND of a text conversation, but if it does, that would explain why some people with moons still trigger audible alerts.

But the simple solution, like Lawrosa showed in the video, is tell your partner to take that conversation off DND mode.

Last edited by SuperSquirrel; 02-27-20 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-27-20, 08:40 AM
R
Well, my partner is elderly and forgetful, is always fiddling with the settings without knowing what he's doing. I'll look at when I get a chance, and thanks for the link explaining it!

Old 02-28-20, 08:38 AM
R
That did it guys!!! DIY to the rescue!!

Old 02-28-20, 10:17 AM
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
What did it? What was the actual problem & resolution?

Old 02-29-20, 04:33 PM
R
Talking

We were both unaware that the Do Not Disturb function could be enabled for individual contacts.....just by chance I became curious about the tiny little moon symbol next to some of his contacts, but he had his "main" DND button turned off. It was only after y'all's advice I realized DND can be applied to individuals. Old dog, new tricks.....