Upgrade fine wires to a modular jack and trace multiple cable bundles

Old 05-01-20, 12:59 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upgrade fine wires to a modular jack and trace multiple cable bundles

Hello,

My first post in here. I am not an electrician or phone tech. But I did cange out a modular jack
connections just by rote copying what was on the original. I had the need to replace the built in wall plate for cosmetics at the wall.

In handling the the modular jack/wall plate, when removed one of the fine wires attached to the
four screws came off. At first I didn't know which screw it detached from. By inference I found the right one again.

There are two cable bundles (conduit with multiple wires) attached to these modular screw posts. .

The one wire that disconnected took out my landline voice phone but left the PC DSL connection running. ATT did the DSL job and it was well done with punch down assemblies. The outlet with the
wire off is much older and could have been done by one of the apartment managers here.

Everything is working. But how could I upgrade those fine wire connections to be more secure?

One thing I did was use some soft kneadable artists eraser as a putty to keep any tension off the fine wires. I've left the assembly alone where it lays so as not to have another disconnection.

A long post by me but it was hard to describe

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-20, 01:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 741 Votes on 696 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The wiring has been #22-24 since it's inception many years ago.
That's what we work with everyday.
The only problem with that small of a gauge is if you nick it while stripping it.
Otherwise it's fairly robust.

Old 05-27-20, 11:10 AM
L
I had some login problems and one thing and another delayed in my reply. Apologies for that. I may not have had notification set right as well.

Yes I can strip wire and solder etc.

If I give some sort of description of the wire bundle at the box, could I then twist or in some way secure the multiple leads?

I said above that these cable bundles are strange and I'm no telephone guy. The fact that one wire took out my landline phone and left the DSL running from the ATT DSL install is confusing. I want to be secure in not losing my phone in/out.

Today I had another idea. Could the wire bundles be stripped and punched down into a modular plug?
I have one of those with the 6 leads. To finish the job I'd just need a new wall plate. I might even have one.
Years ago I made an ethernet modular cable just to practice.

But phone wiring is different.

I'll just begin by saying that at the box there are two conduits with cable bundles in the usual grey sleeve.
From there it gets complicated. Some strange looking _round_ wire crimpers plus multiple
connects to the four tiny screws on the modular screw terminal/plate.
I can sort the colors as we go if you want to proceed. Everything works here right now. I just want to
clean up the mess in that one unused box/outlet. I believe it was the yellow wire that took out my
phone when it broke. I had been doing some things at the box. Fortunately I got it reattached.

It looks complicated to me but it seems to be just a phone extension.

There are two phone outlets in the residence which are active and then this other one with the wire mess.

A punch down solution would be welcome. I have the tool for that. Or a way to combine and twist the
multiple wires to the four screws.

Old 05-27-20, 12:14 PM
Group Moderator
You could add a small 66 punch down block at the demarc point to clean up the wiring.
Those little rounds things.... usually red.... are gel filled squeeze crimps for splicing.

66 punch down block

Old 05-28-20, 01:42 PM
L
Hello. I realized that notifications are sent to gmail rather than my regular mail account. I never look at
Gmail. How can I get notifications to my ISP mail account?

On the subject, that $18.00 block looked like something for a PBX or am I way off?
The punchdown block I have just has 6 terminals and I got it from the hardware store.

I looked at the round crimper and yes, it looks like it tied off two red leads. the whole bundle is
so delicate (and way old) that tracing leads around the putty I put on to hold the wires as strain
relief might be a problem. I'd go for it once we've established a method. Trim all the wires
and punch down.

There's just two conduit sleeves with 4 wires each. One or more screw terminals at the modular wall socket has two connected on one-- the yellow. I have to get down on the floor to do any of this.

I'll see if I can find that hardware store item. But sending now so as not to lose something.

Old 05-28-20, 02:13 PM
L
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT3-Toolle...EAAOxyVaBS8ovV

It's called an rj11 keystone jack. The one I have is not as detailed-- no easy to see color code.
But six terminals and color code stamped on it. Real hard to see. I thought I had the paper
for it but can't locate. Unlike three side by side these terminals are a six row series.

If some other jack system would work better and require less -- dexterity- let me know.

These RJ11's have 6 terminals but my modular screw jack has four terminals.

Can the crimped bunch and what's left then be attached to the keystone jack?

One other lame problem I have is the lengths of the cable are so long I can hardly get
them back in the box. So there's plenty of length to strip and do over if needed.
But I can't go too short since, like I said, the need to work on it in on the floor in a corner with furniture.

Old 05-28-20, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
How can I get notifications to my ISP mail account?
The notifications are handled internally thru the board software.
In the blue tool bar above..... [Forum Actions] > [Edit Your Details] > [Edit Email & Password]
Replace your sign-up email address with your new one.

I thought you were looking for a punch down block for use where the wires enter the home.
Yes..... that 66 block is used in PBX type work.

An RJ11 is considered a jack for a single line. An RJ14 is considered a jack for two lines.
Same jack.... both can have 6 pins.
If there is a single phone line involved..... use the two center pins only.
Those blocks are usually only designed for one wire per position.
Punching two in one location usually cuts the bottom one off.

Get some jelly beans. Those red crimp things. You can get three wire ones that make splicing two cable together very easy. They show using special pliers. Slip joint pliers will work as well.
Jelly bean splices
Splicing phone wires video