Corning Port Splitter

Old 08-12-20, 11:11 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Corning Port Splitter

I have a similar post in this forum back in 2014 but I still donít understand the purpose of this Corning port splitter. What happens now is that in July-28 I had a tech guy from a cable company who came to my place to switch my service from Bell to Cable.

Not going into details that guy he screw up a lot of things so I called the cable company to send another tech guy to fix the problems. Well guess what, they sent the same guy which was quite a disappointment. Anyway together somehow we fixed what needed to be done and he left. So now I had basic landline and Internet (I donít need TV service).

However it took time for Bell to cut my service and up to 3-4 days ago I had both Bell service and the cable company. When eventually Bell cut my service (I know that because the email address I had with Bell stop working) I discover out of the 8 phone outlets I have in my place only 1 was working, the others had no dial tone! The one thatís working is connected straight into the modem he installed

Tomorrow another service guy from the cable company will come to fix the problem and although I asked not to have the same guy I was told that canít be controlled so somehow I believe I will get the same guy and most likely he will not fix the problem.

My question: from the attached pictures (which I donít remember who installed the splitter and why in one picture the splitter is wired but in the other picture is not wired) does the splitter needs to be wired or not?

BTW the splitter is located in my garage next to the main electrical panel and the cable tech guy never went there. He did all his work behind my TV where the previous cables (from Bell/cable) are entering the house. This location is in the opposite corner of the house from the main power entry to the house

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-20, 11:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,021 Votes on 947 Posts
That's a POTS (plain old telephone service) splitter..... not ports.

Your phone/DSL service was on a single pair of wires. They sent the incoming line to the POTS unit. Then a line comes out to feed the phones and another line to feed the DSL modem.

If you're no longer with bell....... take the wires off the phone demarc block. (two brass nuts)
Connect all the red wires you see together plus the blue/white wire.
Connect all the green wires you see together plus the white/blue wire.
You may have 5+ wires in each splice. That's fine.
I don't think you are using the yellows and blacks. That would be for a second line.

That should combine all your phone jacks together and with the cable modem connected to any jack you should get service on all jacks.

Old 08-13-20, 08:50 AM
Thanks Pete, but I don’t understand

In my pictures, the left one which shows no wiring to the Corning, all wiring is like you describe and that has been there for the last 6 years I was with bell and all was working until bell cut my service and now all jacks have not dial tone . The cable guy has not seen these wiring yet.

I will post more tonight after the cable guy is gone

Old 08-13-20, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
Since only one pair of wires is used for both DSL and voice...... it looks like bell sent that pair to select jack locations. Then they would have put a small filter at your phone.

Now..... you need to have the primary line.... usually red and green.... tied together for all jacks.

Old 08-13-20, 10:09 AM
Yes I did have those filters in all my phone lines

I will let the cable guy who should be here later to do the rest

Old 08-13-20, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
Show him the demarc block.
He'll disconnect them from the block and connect them for you.

Old 08-13-20, 05:24 PM
I'm very happy the tech guy (a sub contractor to the cable company) was not the same one as the first time, he fixed everything in under 30 minutes and all is fine now. The first guy (an employee of the cable company) spent 3 hours the first visit and 1 hour the second visit and all he did screw up everything. Thank you Pete for the help

Old 08-13-20, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
You're welcome. Glad you get a real tech there.