Cat5 wire for phone line

Old 10-25-20, 07:32 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cat5 wire for phone line

I had my house pre-wired with a phone jack. I have attached a pic of the cat5 cable at the phone jack
How do I attach the wires for connection to my modem ( i will be using VOIP.) i have this wire at my modem with no plug.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-20, 08:43 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 121 Posts
What internet technology are you using, DSL?

Cat5 is a 8-wire twisted pair cable. You have an RJ25 jack, which is 6 wires, which allows 3 plain telephone lines.

If you want to run a network on that cable, you'll need to replace it with an RJ45 (8-wire) jack on both ends. If you're doing DSL, nothing should need to change.

Old 10-25-20, 08:15 PM
G
This is just for regular phone line.

Old 10-26-20, 04:20 AM
G
I guess I just need to know what order the wires should be for a RJ25 connector. It has to connect to a regular phone jack input on my modem.

Old 10-26-20, 11:17 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 121 Posts
I'm confused as to what you're looking to do.

You should be able to plug a standard modem into the jack using an every-day telephone cord. No wiring needed.

But to answer your question, a standard phone/modem using one pair of wires. In the wiring scheme you're using, it's the blue pair or wires (blue & blue/white). They are connected to the middle-most connectors on the jack. For a 6-pin connector, that's pins 3 & 4. The rest of the pins don't matter. Polarity doesn't really matter either.

Does that help?

Old 10-26-20, 11:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,202 Votes on 1,112 Posts
i have this wire at my modem with no plug.
He has a raw cat5e cable at his modem.

In the trade we use crimp on ends. That requires the ends and a dedicated crimper.
They can be found in most home improvement stores or places online.
You can use.....
RJ11 which is two conductors or one pair.
RJ14 which is four conductor or two pairs.
RJ25 which is six conductor or three pairs.

Old 10-27-20, 06:17 AM
G
When my house was pre-wired, I had a phone jack installed on the upper level. That is the cat5 picture I submitted.
My modem is in the unfinished area of my basement where I have the raw cat5 cable. I am trying to avoid having my cordless base phone in the unfinished area of my basement. So, I need to connect the cat5 cable to my modem so I can use the phone jack in the kitchen. I don't have a crimper, so can I connect two wires from the cat5 to a modular wall outlet? If so, how would I connect the colored wires? Thanks very much for the assistance.

Old 10-27-20, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,202 Votes on 1,112 Posts
You'll be using the blue - blue/white pair of wires. They will get connected to the red and green of a wall jack or a surface jack. The center two pins of the jack you use are the ones you connect to. Then you could connect the jack to your modem using a regular phone cord.

Old 10-30-20, 11:59 AM
D
It is a perfect telephone cable. If you use a RJ48 jack the phone plug will usually fit in and the 2 middle pins are always the first (and usually the only telephone pair) (on al different RJ jacks) The most common standard for color codes are here.
The polarity of the 2 wires are not important for most equipment but it is a standard for that too