DTFM Tones

Old 10-30-20, 05:47 AM
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
DTFM Tones

Hi All, anyone know about these DTFM tones used for access control, etc. I have been told that phone carriers are phasing these out, we are having problems when using iPhones for our gate access, we use the #9 for control.
Geo🇺🇸

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-20, 06:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
I thought they phased out the tones for controlling a phone call long ago when people figured out they could use a tone generator to place calls and not pay. I think they are still used in some form to transmit information by telephone and cable companies to control remote equipment but I suppose that too is dying or dead because of digital.

Are you calling your gate on the phone and depressing number nine to access or are you pressing nine on your phone to produce the tone? If it's the tone you need I'm sure you can find an app that can produce whatever frequency tone you need.

Old 10-30-20, 06:49 AM
When someone we know wants gate access they enter a 3 digit code on the key pad which inturn dials my iPhone # then I press 9 on my phone and that will or should open the gate.
Geo🇺🇸

Old 10-30-20, 12:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,180 Votes on 1,093 Posts
That sounds a bit convoluted. You shouldn't need to be a middleman.

Old 10-30-20, 04:15 PM
This whole place is convoluted, just trying to understand what these DTFM are all about, and if someone is blowing smoke, there is some good info online.
Geo🇺🇸

Old 10-30-20, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,180 Votes on 1,093 Posts
DTMF stands for dual tone multi frequency. When you push the button on a phone dial.... it's actually two frequencies at the same time. It uses a matrix of two frequencies for each button. One in a "high" group and the other in a "low" group.

One problem is that certain applications require several seconds of the signal while some cell phones will only transmit very brief bursts.

Keypad with actual tones

Old 10-31-20, 08:08 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
DTMF was the neato cool new technology that replaced rotary phones. As Pete mentioned, when you press 1 on your keypad, a certain frequency (pair of frequencies) is generated. Press 2, the frequencies are a bit different.
If you remember before cell phones, those land line things would make noises with every button you press to dial. That's DTMF.

A million things still use DTMF and I don't see it going away anytime soon. Not only do landlines still use it (yes, there are still landlines), but voicemail, auto attendants (press 1 for service, press 2 for sales), etc. are out there and will be for a while to come.

I did find some threads back from 2008 where people were complaining that their iPhones wouldn't connect to a company voicemail system since the tones were either too long or too short. Not sure if Apple fixed it, or the voicemail services were fixed. Haven't seen many threads/complaints since then Googling.

Old 10-31-20, 09:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
As for Geo's problem I don't even think a tone generating app on the phone will help since I don't know a way to make one app play a tone through the phone app. You might be able to use a handheld tone generator and hold it up to your phone but that would probably become a pita pretty quickly. It might be time to start looking for new controls for the gate.

ThisOldMan voted this post useful.
Old 10-31-20, 01:15 PM
Hi Guys, I understand the tone issue now, it maybe an IPhone issue, have to check around and see if its happening with other mfgs.
Geo🇺🇸

Old 11-18-20, 01:30 PM
Hi All, the problem occurs with different cell phones and different carriers, it would seem to point the carrier for the phone service at the office where all the security equipment is, any thoughts?
Geo 🇺🇸

Old 11-19-20, 11:10 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have similar problems with some remote control equipment here at my museum, and after pretty many tests together with the Telco: Callcentric, they managed to solve it. I'm not sure what they did, but they worked seriously and well to solve this, and solved it.

Last edited by d_s_k; 11-19-20 at 11:27 PM.