Digital surveillance system question

Old 04-09-21, 08:29 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Digital surveillance system question

I’m looking to install a digital surveillance system with a network digital video recorder (NDVR) and powered over Ethernet (POE) cameras. These are simple as you just run a standard Ethernet cable from NDVR to camera. My question is related to camera resolution. There are many 8K cameras available for a reasonable price but my concern is that if I use a bunch of them that remote viewing will be sluggish due to the bandwidth needed to retrieve those images. Most viewing will be from home but they all come with an app that will allow viewing over internet with a smart phone. Just wondering if anyone else has tried 8K cameras and had problems with remote viewing. The sales rep did advise it would slow down refresh rate but looking for end user input. Thanks!

TexasFire

Old 04-09-21, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,411 Posts
You are connecting the cameras to a POE NVR. When you view the signal via the network you are looking at a throttled down version. For the most part you are connecting to the NVR remotely and the NVR imports/switches to the camera you want to see. You can do multiple picture splits but that's tough to see on a smart phone.

Old 04-10-21, 06:43 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good deal. I was concerned that when using 8mp cameras that the viewing rate would be too slow. I didn’t realize that the NDVR provided a “throttled down” stream.

Old 04-11-21, 06:33 AM
T
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
The bandwidth required for what you propose is simply not there. Even with HEVC, 8K is daunting and uncompressed video can run into the Gigabytes-per-second range.

Here is an article worth reading; it's a couple of years old, but the differences between 4K and 8K are relatively static.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: