Can you convert a UBS cord into a cigarette port adapter?

Old 04-13-21, 05:18 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can you convert a UBS cord into a cigarette port adapter?

I have a Willcare DBM-8 baby monitor that I would like to use when we go traveling or camping. At home the baby side monitor has a UBS cord that has to be plugged into a wall or UBS port, the parents monitor is wireless. I want to use this monitor in my vehicle but I don't have any UBS ports inside my SUV only a cigarette lighter, can I use some kind of a cigarette lighter plug-in adapter to connect the UBS cord to so I can have power to the monitor?

Old 04-13-21, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I presume you mean USB.
Yes.
There are many adapters available that plug into a cigarette or convenience outlet in a vehicle.
Just make sure it has enough capacity to operate the monitor.
An adapter that can handle a laptop would be about 2 amps should be big enough but check before buying one.

Old 04-13-21, 06:53 AM
G
We have this monitor plugged into a USB port on our computer, how would I check to see if a 2 amp would be big enough? I don't wanna get an adapter to big and it burns the monitor out, thanks...

Old 04-13-21, 07:53 AM
I
Received 35 Upvotes on 29 Posts
The amp rating tells you how much current is available to be drawn by a device plugged in. The baby monitor will only draw as much as it needs. If the monitor, for example, requires 1 amp, that's all it will use, even if the adapter is capable of supplying up to 10 amps.

Just get a USB adapter for your cigarette lighter socket. I would avoid buying one that costs less than $1, but almost any around $10 should be fine. Walmart, your local auto parts place, or Amazon all keep these things in stock.

Old 04-13-21, 08:39 AM
G
Thank you very much, you were a great help...

Old 04-13-21, 03:29 PM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
One additional suggestion- in many cases you can get a USB "battery pack" what both CHARGES through the cigarette lighter/USB adapter, but can also RECHARGE devices connected to it.
It basically acts like a home pressure tank, allowing you to 'fill the battery' at high rate when the car is running, then let power trickle out as needed.

Amazon.com: Upgraded Power Bank RAVPower 16750mAh Portable Charger Ultra-Compact External Battery Pack with 4.5A Max Output Phone Charger 2 USB Ports & Flashlight for iPhone 12 Mini Pro Max 11 SE Samsung Galaxy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: