iPhone And Comcast/Verizon ?

Old 07-03-21, 11:23 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
iPhone And Comcast/Verizon ?

Hi,

Am in my mid 80's now, so will blame my ignorance on that.
I would like to understand the following, though.
At one time maybe I did, but it's been a long time now since all was installed.

Question:

I use Comcast for my internet (and TV)
Their line comes in from street pole, and then to their small box on my desk (called a Modem ?), and then to a Router that I bought a long time ago.

I use Verizon for my iphone.
So, assuming the iPhone is Not using a local Verizon Tower, but going thru my Router, what happens ?

Does Comcast handle the iPhone call, or do they transfer it, or...?
Again, the cable from house to pole that connects the Comcast modem and my Router is Comcast's.

How does all of this function, please, between Verizon and Comcast ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 07-04-21, 05:01 AM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
The iPhone works on 2 different radio bands, like a radio that uses AM and FM

Your home Comcast internet radio broadcasts between 2,400-5,000 MHz and is called WiFi) (WIde FIeld radio)
You Verizon cellphone tower radio broadcasts between 2,1000 MHz and 1,800Mhz.and is called 5th generation cellphone, so (5g)

Phone numbers have a ten digit format 123-456-7890 for each 'address'. Webpages and internet sites have a nine digit "Internet Protocol Address" (IP address) with a format 123-45-6789. The the iPhone's default settings determine which radio network and it uses for what purpose. Comcast and Verizon can both be reached through either network, it's comparable to an old fashioned phone calling directory assistance, or having a Bell Telephone operator connect you to an overseas Telephone Operator for a long distance call.

For internet related connections and updates the iPhone will use the WiFi router signal and if it can't connect, switch to the cellphone tower signal as a fallback.

There's also a setting for 'WiFi calling' where you select whether the phone starts with the WiFi radio to connect to Verizon, but if it can't connect fall back to the cell tower radio .The other option is to always use the cellphone tower radio.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 07-04-21, 05:07 AM
R
Hi,
Very clear explanation.
Thanks.

Bob

Old 07-04-21, 02:05 PM
C
Received 30 Upvotes on 28 Posts
Just wanted to say it's awesome that you're using forums at your age. As I'm sure you're aware, it's not very common among your peers. Keep on keeping on!

Old 07-04-21, 02:28 PM
R
Hi,
Good clear explanation.
Much thanks,
Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: