Huxley
Visiting Guest
Where can a person buy cheap computers?

Where can a person buy cheap computers?

Old 07-28-02, 06:04 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'll give you my two cents:

It ain't Dell or Gateway. The only "big computer company" that I would go with might be Micron. Compaq/HP is not too dependable.

For ultimate cheap:

Make it yourself or have someone do it for you. Otherwise, go into your local mom and pop computer store. Tell them what you are looking for and have them build one for you. It may take longer, but you will save a ton of money over the big boys. Most mom and pop computer stores offer warrantys as well, so if that is an issue for you, ask first. I have seen a few good systems on eBay as well, so that may be worth checking into as long as the seller doesn't subscribe to the overinflated shipping charges that tend to be rampant there.

The big question that other responders will ask is what do you want this computer for?? What do you primarily intend to use it for? Alternative uses??

Old 07-28-02, 06:25 PM
If you are economically disadvantaged or work for a non profit group try here http://www.microweb.com/pepsite/Recy...cle_index.html
One of may refurbished computer sites www.cheap-refurbished-computers.com/ Some of the major manufactures offer refubrished units also. If you want a new cheap machine try here http://www.e4me.com/

Old 08-02-02, 03:18 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Check out places such as Sam's club and Costco, maybe even big box strores such as Wal-mart.

Old 08-04-02, 09:38 PM
M
Check out this site: www.netseller.com

Good Luck!

Old 08-04-02, 09:50 PM
T
Cheap computers

My bookkeeper just ordered me a new Dell with the works for $799 online. You can also check with local computer shops that sell rebuilt and upgraded computers. I have two in my store.

Old 08-04-02, 09:54 PM
I purchased a 4 port usb from this company and in one of the mailing list emails they stated that summer is the worst time for computer sales so they were having a huge sale!?

Here's the link if you want to check out their prices, too. I'm not so computer literate, but maybe you can decipher if they are good deals or not.

http://www.novapcs.com

I did notice that most don't come with a monitor, but the monitors seem to be inexpensive as well.

Kay

Old 08-06-02, 04:30 PM
Q
HI!!!
"Wallpaper" is abosultely right on one things...Dell and Gateway are not good systems, Iw ould not reccomend those either. However, I think HP is a great comptuer manufacturer.

I would buy my comptuer from BestBuy.
Or if you have a CD with an operating system, I would buy acomptuer withou an OS and install it on there, they cost about 200.0 less.

Old 08-06-02, 04:57 PM
Best Buy sells eMachine systems. They sell a few others, but it is their most affordable system.

I don't know how eMachine rates now, but after purchasing this one (3 years ago), the power supply fuse blew, and no one carried the power supply or the fuse. I would have had to send it in to have it fixed. $50 for that. I opted to spend $50 on a new case and better power supply. The guys at the shop said they were surprised the motherboard didn't go first. That's what they usually saw.

Kay

Old 08-06-02, 05:15 PM
Q
HI!!!
Now that I think of it. I would never really buy a "cheap" comptuer, because all you're going to do is run into problems and errors. I say if you're going to buy a comptuer, look around and buy a great system. There are many out on the market for fairly low prices.

"If you're going to buy a computer....buy a computer."

Old 08-06-02, 05:23 PM
what about compaq? I saw an ad on television about a special they're running. no monitors i don't believe. sorry, just caught the tail end of it...not much of a television watcher.

kay

Old 08-10-02, 03:44 PM
Cincyjohn
Visiting Guest
I say why don't you check out Tigerdirect.com! You can build or purchase already built systems along with a wide array of other computer stuff. Just a word to the wise "You get what you pay for".

Old 08-11-02, 12:31 PM
edutech
Visiting Guest
Inexpensive computers

I have build my own computers for 20 years. I have looked for good quality computers at affordable prices. I used to build them for people all over also but I found a web site that has 2 things. Good quality computers and very good prices. I only say on thing about them. buy your monitor from local. like walmart, compusa or sams as i got a CTX 17" monitor for 99.00 at Sams.
At www.pcinfinity.net they have computers already pre made. without an operating system and no monitor they start at 349.00 and hit about 829.00 or so. 4 versions of these have CD recorders in them. they have good quality parts and the prices are exceptional. I recommended them to a lot of my friends who have bought them and only one person had a problem and when he called them they were very quick to fix the problem and satisify his needs. I can not even buy the parts and put one together for these prices. I have 3 of them I have purchased and they are all running perfectly. and the fourth one I built myself before I found them. No compatibility issues either. [SIZE=4]www.pcinfinity.net[/SIZE]

Old 08-11-02, 01:10 PM
BSB
Note on Mom&Pops shops: Most of the shops here around metro Atlanta tend to sell their systems 20%-30% more then the big retail shops. The reason? Volume. If they can't sell enough to pay the bills they can't lower the price. If you buy online pay attention to the shipping charges, no reason paying more with shipping then what you can get locally. Cheap machines usually mean "cheap" machines, i.e. cheap components. The best way to get an inexpensive machine that will actually work to your standards is to piece it together yourself. It may take a while to get all the components but you'll generally be more happy with the end results then if you went out and handed over $800 and the thing kept crashing on you. The only draw back to this approach is if you don't have any software. Luckily used software works just as good as new software.

Brian

Old 08-11-02, 07:53 PM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
cheap computers

My friend told me about pricewatch. They have great deals on computers. Thanks everybody!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: