What is Developing Unit of Laser copier

Old 07-29-02, 05:06 PM
What is Developing Unit of Laser copier

I have a Lanier 5112 MFD fax/copier/printer, I believe the "developing unit" need to be cleaned. Before I do it, I would like to understand what is "developer" and "developing unit", and if it OK to open it. I have tried Lanier web site, they do not even have 5112 listed. I believe many laser copiers/printers are similar in principle, but I don't know how do they work.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-02, 08:28 PM
BSB
First unless you like micron size powder up your nose dont open the developer unit with out extreme caution. Do not try to vaccum up the stuff, will shoot right out the back of the cleaner. (bagless wont work either) dont use water and paper towels to clean up the mess. Simple green and an old tee shirt or 4 works the best.

Developer= very small lead bb's coated with teflon act as a carrier for the toner.

Toner= very very very fine graphite power, much finer then baby powder. Turns every thing it touches black.green,red or what ever color it is.

Developer unit= usually contains one or up to 3 hollow core rollers with full, 1/2 or 1/3 magnet bars inside of them. with a plastic auger and a plastic padle wheel.

Now lets see if I can remember the charges. Developer is negativly charged (very small) the rubbing of developer particles.
And toner is possitivly charged. As the dev unit turns the dev particles rub and attract toner and then attach to the magnet and the toner (about 30%) is then attracted to the drum. Now days alum with an organic caoting. Used to be selenium and other heavy metals, but when tech started getting cancer they had to change.

More then likly your developer unit needs the developer replaced. Unless the toner for this model has a premix of developer and toner.

If the prints/copies are light the developer is going bad, or the drum is worn out, or the corona wires are dirty/bad.

If the prints/copies are dark/smudging the developer again is bad, toner is just pouring out the unit, the drum cleaning blade is bad or the lamp is dirty or cleaning lamp is dirty/bad.

then drum is also charged with a - charge, and light discharges the drum. The image is the undischarged area on the drum.

Corona wires (top and bottom and sometimes on the output side) charge and discharge the drum. the bottom wire(s) transfer the toner from the drum to the paper and separate the paper from the drum. Top wire of course charges the drum. The best cleaner for the wires is a que tip and spit, well saliva any how.

As far as I know canon is the only company to use a mix of dev/toner in the toner cartridge.

Let me know what your print looks like and can give you a pretty good diagnosis (site unseen of course).

Brian

Old 07-30-02, 05:56 AM
Brian
Your post is so educational and useful. I could not found any information from library or on line.
My wife’s small office has a Lanier 5112 MFD and a Lanier 6610 copier.
The copies from the 6610 were smudging, I found the drum was very dirty and drum unit was plugged with used toner at discharge port. I used a pin cleaned the port and turned the drum unit to get a few OZ of used toner out of it. I did not open the drum unit and I don’t know how dirty is inside. The copies from the 6610 are clean now and I hope it last for at least few weeks. Do you recommend open drum unit to clean it?
The copies from the 5112 were light. I didn’t know the problem until reading your post. The developing unit for 5112 costs more than $300, and should last about 50,000 pages. Can it be refurbished by adding developer? Where can I purchase developer?
Thanks
Eric

Old 07-30-02, 01:57 PM
BSB
Thats an awfull lot for only 50k. Yes the developer can be replaced, maybe run you $90 for a service rep to replace it. You may not be able to find any to buy your self. Companies will not sell to consumers, unless authorized service center. You might check Allstate (not the insurance comp) old boss used them, were cheaper then manufacturer.

For the drum unit. advoid touching the surface with your hands, will see where you touched the drum with each print/copy. And then will have to use 99% iso to clean it, with a very very soft lint free cloth.

These small units are a pain to work on, so many hidden screws to remove and clips, small springs that shoot into a black hole never to be seen again.

the side you want to clean is the exit/cleaning blade side. If you manage to get it apart remove the drum and wrap in a few sheets of paper untill you no longer see the drum through the paper. Dump the unit into a small kitchen trash can with bag. Take an auto parts brush and brush off as much as you can into in the trash can. Save a small amount on some paper will need to put a thin film of toner on the edge of the cleaning blade (rubber by the way) that rides on the drum surface. lubricant. this will keep the blade from flipping up and destroying the drum.

About the only way you are going to get parts and supplies for the two machines is by repair shop. To-the-public sales are pretty slim.

For the used toner that is dumped tie the back off and toss in the trash. As far as I know has no environmental issues, other then floats in the air for ever. Can pour water in it and let the toner soak it up and then you can toss a block of toner away, instead of powder.

Brian

Old 07-30-02, 03:54 PM
Brian,
Thanks for the information. I bought a used Lanier Fax 4900 for $26 plus S/H, which has identical engine as 5112. The meter is 5K, hopefully, there will be 45K life left for developing and drum units. (new drum costs >$300 with 50K life) By the end of life of those units, maybe I should buy a different machine.
Thanks, I learned a lot from you.
Eric

Old 07-31-02, 11:05 AM
BSB
The life of drum and developer is based on 6% coverage. I am not sure if I remember correctly but a full 81/2x11 sheet of single spaced text is about 4.5-5% coverage. Graphics and larger fonts play a key role in reducing/extending total output.

Brian

Old 07-31-02, 03:54 PM
Brain,
After understanding more about developer/developing unit, I believe that I had damaged the developing unit last month when I “cleaned” the magnet roller. The “dirty” stuff I “cleaned” off the magnet roller was actually developer and toner. That is why the copies became light after I “cleaned” the developer unit.
The 5112 operator guide mentioned “you must initialize the new developer unit before it has been used” and “never initialize a developer unit that is in use or has been used once or more. Doing so can degrade equipment operation or damage the 5112 MFD”
It said the same thing for a new drum unit.
What is initialization?
Thanks
Eric

Old 07-31-02, 05:41 PM
BSB
Initializing resets the internal counter and calibrates the machine to the new units. Put a new unit in and forget to run the initializing program and the copies/prints may very dark. As the machine prints or copies things like voltage, timming and toner output adjust.

think of it as resetting to manufacturing default.

Brian