downgrading xp home to 2000 pro

Old 08-01-02, 08:37 AM
J
jkpearson
Visiting Guest
downgrading xp home to 2000 pro

Does anyone have any idea what it would take to change the operating system on my new hp computer from windows xp home to windows 2000 professional. I checked out microsofts' site and couldn't find anything. I was told by someone to reboot the computer with the 2000 pro cd in the drive but xp still ran. XP disables the install pack from 2000 pro. Why do I need 2000 pro? Because the system my company uses is 2000 pro. Do I need to take it to a tech with a week backlog and a 2 hour minimum? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-02, 10:41 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you sure that your computer is set to boot to cd rom? If it is not, then it won't boot up to the installation disk. You don't need to take it to a tech!!! Several options, you can reinstall windows if there is not too much stuff on your computer, or get partition magic, set up another partition, install xp pro on the other partition, drag allyour programs over, and delete the original partition.

I still believe that you should be over to install pro over the first one, I would work a little harder at getting that cd to boot.

Old 08-01-02, 08:25 PM
"set up another partition, install xp pro on the other partition, drag allyour programs over, and delete the original partition."

If you follow that advice, your programs wont work. Not at least if they are 32 bit programs with registry entries. The new partition bit is ok, but you MUST reinstall your programs from the original CDs, floppies, whatever.

Old 08-01-02, 09:48 PM
J
FYI, I gave that info expecting that someone would know that. Good advice, sometimes in giving advice to people, you jump a couple of steps, because it is so obvious to you.