Want to back up Hard Drive

Old 08-18-02, 01:14 PM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
Want to back up Hard Drive

I've looked at Drive Image but they say I need a minimum 8X CD drive - I only have 4X.
Norton Ghost seems to have bad reviews.

Is there any reason why I can't just "copy" the folders from the HD and "paste" them to the CD drive. This seems to be better than buying software to do the same thing.

Old 08-18-02, 01:19 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
easy - use explore to drag and drop

You don't need special software to do a backup.
You don't need to back up everything all the time.

Go to explore (not explorer) and drag and drop to your burner.

Old 08-19-02, 08:32 PM
alwaystrymyself
Visiting Guest
BobF is right, there is no need to buy a special program to backup your hard drive. But, backing up using 3rd party software such as PowerQuest's Drive Image makes things a lot easier. I agree with BobF though. If you use Drive Image it, makes you backup your entire harddrive. If YOU back it up you can choose any files you want.

Old 08-19-02, 09:56 PM
T
There is really no need to backup the entire drive unless your computer is mission critical and you must have it up and running in the least amount of time. I would only backup the documents and files you downloaded/made/received. Windows can be reloaded fairly quickly, drivers are available online or supplied on CDs, and programs come with their own CD. 5 years ago it used to make sense (1G drives), but right now it's pointless. It's quicker to reinstall most programs then to back them up.

Old 08-21-02, 01:36 AM
abecedary
Visiting Guest
I agree that backing up the whole drive is somewhat unneccesary, but I have wanted to copy my original HD to a new larger, faster HD. I used the DOS command xcopy32 to copy all the files from one drive to the other. Want much faster than messing with Ghost(which is rather difficult for a novice). I keep the old copy and update it occassionally. Would make restoring much faster if I have any HD crashes.

Old 08-21-02, 07:00 AM
T
Most new hard drives (WD, Maxtor) come with a utility to transfer the contents of the old drive to the new drive. I've used the WD one several times and it works pretty well. But while doing a piece by piece install is slower, I prefer it that way, it tends to cause fewer problems. But Ghosting works pretty well in some cases. However, a weekly backup can't be missed. You can easily reinstall windows, but it's not fun retyping a 20 pg term paper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: