buying a computer

Old 08-27-02, 12:27 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
buying a computer

im looking to buy a new computer. it will mostly be used for burning music cds, ps2 games and dvds (if possible?). i also have a digital video camera that i would like to hook up to the computer. ive seen adds for many computers...dell, sony, gateway... what should i be looking for in a computer for what i intend to do with it? Any recommendations on specific computers?
thanks
birch

Old 08-27-02, 05:27 PM
Seerialmom
Visiting Guest
Talking Buying a computer

I'd vote for the Sony Vaio if I were going to buy a pre-fab. They have a really sweet multi-media system which includes a cd-rw/dvd-rw and a memory stick slot. Plus it's chock full of memory, HD space and the latest P4 chip. I talked one of my friends into getting one when Costco had a bundle package (the whole kit and caboodle for $2000 including flat panel monitor). My other choice would probably be a true IBM system because of their general company stability. Basically, most computers contain the same components but some companies cut corners on important things like video cards and sound cards (try to avoid the integrated video/sound). If you're not extremely computer savvy though, I'd definitely weigh the price, features and included warranty period. This will come in handy if 9 months from now your PC won't even boot up Anyway, I build my own but I do have an HP Vectra which has run fine since I got it (and has a really nifty side-opening case for easy access to the stuff inside). Whatever you do, don't let a PC salesperson tell you what to get

Old 08-27-02, 06:12 PM
W
You should concentrate more on the specific burner than the total system. Some burners can do what you are asking, some can't. The burners that all the hard-core types use are Plextors. They support all the new technology that enables you to burn everything. Some other burners work find too, but you really never know until you go to burn what you are interested in. I had an old Phillips that burned EVERYTHING, everytime. I haven't tried any unusual formats on my newer burner, but I assume it will work fine too. You never really know until it comes time to burn though!

You also need good software to do what you are asking for. You will need a copy of Nero Burning Rom (my general favorite, but there are others) and a copy of CloneCD to burn "specialized media", by that I mean, this sucker will burn even the latest copyrite protected software, CDs from ANY game console, and other things you shouldn't be copying in the first place! I am not in the know about this, but I know the original PlayStation required a mod chip to play burned games, check this out with PS2 if you didn't know. Burning DVDs is possible, but I no longer know how to do it and with what program.

For your video stuff, you will need a video card with "Video In". This has to do more with the card than a manufacturer. Like posted previously, ENSURE you get a video card and NOT some "on-board video" junk motherboard. The "best" video cards for this purpose have
ATI written on them.

For a full, new system check out PC World. At this link you will see their recommended picks. The only "major brands" that aren't going to cost you an arm or a leg at this URL are Polywell and Micron.

REMEMBER:

Dell, Gateway, and the other big boys make great computers, with great warranties. The other "major brands" make great computers with great warranties for far less. The difference? Dell charges you more because you don't know that all computers are made from components created in Taiwan. Dell does not make computers, only assembles them like everyone else.

Dude....You're gettin' fleeced!

Old 08-27-02, 08:50 PM
T
If you want to copy DVDs (not that you should ), you need a DVDR drive. They make some combo CDRW/DVDR drives, but I would go with two separate units. A fast (but not overly expensive CDRW drive) and a good DVDR drive. The problem with the DVDR drives is that there are several standards out right now, and they are not compatible yet. In terms of video you need a Radeon All In Wonder most likely. If you're going to do any editing you need lots of RAM (1G most likely), a big hard drive (maybe 2 80 or 100G drives in RAID 0 to increase speed), a IEEE1394 card (firewire) for the digital camera, and a lot of patience. Only a smaller computer builder will build such a system for you. Dell/HP/Gateway won't, and the Vaio is a mixed bag. You could of course build it yourself if you so choose, you'll probably save some money that way. Regarding the origin of components, almost everything is made in Taiwan or China. I believe Dell motheboards are made in Mexico, I know IBM's mobos are made in Taiwan. The origin is not really that important. While I love AMD's and both of my main machines are AMD Athlon based, I think a P4 with RDRAM will work best for this aplication. The P4/RDRAM combo offers the best memory and multimedia performance, at least for now. You could get close with an overclocked liquid cooled Athlon, but I don't believe birch is looking for this It is fun though, you could have colored water, etc, etc.

Old 08-28-02, 08:53 AM
W
trinitro,

I agree with everything you said. Excellent emphasis and expansion on the general advice I gave.

I don't have water cooling but....

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/ddr4.html

copy/paste the url

Last edited by Wallpaper; 08-29-02 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-28-02, 09:15 AM
T
You mean to tell us that you keep that system under the table?

Old 08-29-02, 10:41 AM
B
thanks for all of your information
some of you are talking about building your own computers. does that mean you buy each component separately? how would i go about this, and is there anyone who does this for a fee or as a hobby?
thanks again
birch

Old 08-29-02, 01:08 PM
B
after reading trinitro's response, i did some research on p4/rdram what is your opinion about this computer?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2049193584
thanks again!

Old 08-29-02, 02:14 PM
T
I would never buy a computer off ebay (or anything else for that matter), but it looks like a decent machine. Not top of the line, or close to it, but ok. It has a decent processor, fairly old MB, fairly fast RAM, etc. It seems to be too cheap for some reason. You do have to buy your own OS, which will run you about $150. If you don't feel comfortable assembling the MB and processor you could always get what they call a "barebone". It's basically only the MB, CPU, RAM and whatever else you choose installed in a case. Then you can buy and install your own hard drive, CDROM's, cards, etc.

Old 08-29-02, 06:51 PM
W
I only bought my motherboard off of eBay. I am not sure I would trust it for a complete system. Another option is to go into your local mom and pop computer store. I hope you have one in your area?? Tell them exactly what you want to do, and have them build one according to your specs. You can buy individual components and DIY, but you really need knowledge in order to do it. There are way too many variables with each component for you to tackle without having experience. Even then you can have problems. I assembled the identical system that I have for a friend with the new Athlon 2200 chip. Guess what?? Even though it says "Supports Athlon 2200+" in 6 inch letters on the motherboard box, it is currently on it's way to California for a hardware fix so the 2200 will work! I have experience and got bit! Oh well.

My other advice...Get an Athlon processor! The Pentium/Athlon war will continue for 1000 years about who is faster. Each side can claim the speed advantage when they site a particular program and be right. Here is where the Pentium crowd shuts up:

Pentium 2.8Ghz $538
Athlon XP 2200 $146

Prices via www.pricewatch.com

Old 08-30-02, 05:12 AM
B
my thoughts

I bought a new computer last spring. I did quite a bit of comparison shopping and bought a Dell. Prices were quite competitive when you compare apples to apples, including software, upgrades, warranty, etc. This can be a hard task for people not "into" computers. I will not buy Gateway again.

Building your own can be fun. It can also be very frustrating. All components must be compatible. IE) don't buy and AGP graphics card if the mb doesn't have an AGP slot. Make sure the case and mb fit together. There are different types and speed of memory. If you go this route, buy the mb/cpu as a kit so you know they go together. Remember you have to buy everything - mouse, keyboard, case, drives, memory, graphics/sound cards (unless they are intergrated on the mb), os, and any other software you want such as word processor.

As for the os - if you choose Microsoft go with XP Pro. XP home edition has too many problems right now.

And buy a new surge protector. Surge protectors do wear out.

Old 09-01-02, 09:25 PM
Thumbs up Operating system

Windows 2000 is also an excellent choice for far less $$$
Does the XP professional edition have the spyware like the home edition ??
AMD processors do give more bang for the $$$ for sure, I'm running an 800 MHZ duron processor (I belive they are about $30 now) with no problems for 2 years
I have consideed going to a 1.4 GHZ athlon (highest my motherboard will support, simple plug and play install) but can't justify the $95 because my currrent one works so well LOL

Old 09-02-02, 10:39 AM
bacon225
Visiting Guest
It is the easiest option to build your own PC, then you can choose the exact components for your needs and wants as well as see exactly what is going in there, unlike trusting a OEM manufacturer who could be putting sumthing else in! I built my own and it is better than I could ask for from a manufacturer. I overclocked my Athlon 1.2Ghz upto 1.45Ghz (I got an SK-6 with Delta + it is an AXIA CPU so highly overclockable).

Old 09-03-02, 02:52 PM
rgrogan
Visiting Guest
Build your own!

Or buy a Dell, Dude.

RG

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: