web site

Old 09-01-02, 08:36 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
web site

hello
i hope this is not too trivial but i'd like to build a web site for my wife's 'little' out of the house business and do it the most cost efficient, simplistic way possible-could you help?
thank you
peterr

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-02, 07:24 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Copy/paste this URL into your browser:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103918

Old 09-03-02, 06:08 AM
P
appreciation

rebecca
my wife will certainly enjoy your referral.
thanx-pete

Old 09-03-02, 06:10 AM
P
error

there was a mistake in that i thought you were responding to our request to build a web site not an advertisement

Old 09-03-02, 06:55 AM
D
Just a few extra comments...

In making a good website, it must consider..

1. site server location (who will host it)
a) what are your requiremnts..storage space, banewidth requiremnts, features such as php, cgi, etc, if required.
b) costs that you can buidget, can be from free , but free usually means being stuck with either a popup advertisement or a banner advertisement on all your webpages. free usually means lower bandwidth alotment. Bandwidth meaning how much trafiic per month allowed.
c)) how knowledgeable are you ? degree of tech support at the host may or may not be a consideration..
d) reliabability of th ehost is a consideration (downtime ?)

2. Do you require a domain name , costs anywhere from $ 8.95 to $ 35 per year depending on domain and register. (com,org,net,tv,info ,etc) . If you do do need your own domain name, some hosting comanies will provide a free sub-domain name. such as http://yourname.tripod.com where in the example "yourname" is the name you choose, and tripod.com is the host domain name. is you want www.yourname.com then you will need to register that (for a fee - anywhere from $ 8.95 to $ 35 per year)

3. You need to gain the experience or have the ability to learn how to create a pleasing webpage , some hosting companies provide software tools to make it easilier for the novice others do not.

4. next you can have the greatest website around but if no-one can find it or knows about it, what's the point. In other words you must be listed in the search engines, some are free some require a registratiion fee. But thats not all, if you come up on the 5th or 10th page on the search engine results, most people will not see it. Most people look on the 1st couple of pages of the search results and rarely look further.

So how do you rank higher on the searhc engines, here is some ways...

a) know what people use to search for your type of site. In the hidden html code there is a title, description, keywords, make sure you put this in your code. the keywords should be entered in order of prority , these words are words that people would use to search and find your site, desription a short paragraph describing your site, title name of the site (short sentence) , title is also used as the name when someone bookmarks the site.

b)other factors - some search engines use the metatags (title,description,keywords) and some do not. rank on search engine results if a real art. some factors are...

aa) how often keywords are used on the main page
bb)are the keywords used too often (may be labeleed as a spam site and rank lower) in other words not enough use of the primary keywords will hurt you , too many will also hurt you.

bb) number of links and size of site will also play a part on some search engines.

cc) some search engines will reject you if there is a popup that that the user has not selected.

dd) seacrh engines cannot spider and spot text inside a graphic, make sure that pictures/graphics is not your only source of text on the page.

And there are many more factors envolved in staying high on the search engines. Big companies have large amounts of money to stay at the top of the all the search engines, they pay companies specializing in keeping you on top, and they constantly check ranks multiple times a day to ensure that. You and I however don't have thousands to pay someone to do that, what we have however is the ability to learn and study on how all this works and with some learning ability and wit (and some luck) we try and maintain a good presence on the web and can get good and reasonable results without spending big bucks to do it.

Old 09-03-02, 09:46 AM
P
dkerr

hello
thank you so much for all the information-it will help me study and research further the various aspects of of the web and small business. as you indicated, the more knowledge, the better the chances of attaining the goal. it's going to be an iteresting investigation.
again thanx
pete

Old 09-08-02, 08:22 PM
Smile Blue Hyperlink???

Hi peterr

Peterr said:
there was a mistake in that i thought you were responding to our request to build a web site not an advertisement

I was wondering, did you by chance hit the blue Hyperlink? Or did you copy & paste the link that looks like this link below?

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=103918

The above link will take you to another post, that has a lot about building & hosting a web site of your own.

I believe that Wallpaper, was trying to show you there was another post, that was already going about building a web site.

Good luck on your adventure peterr, building webs can be a lot of fun and great satisfaction.

The problems will be finding an honest Web Host. The above link will take you to some very good info by others, who have been in your shoes before. I would also copy what dkerr has told you, it's very good information & that's just what you need most now.

I started taking 6 week courses in the continuing edu program called distance learning, through our local community College. At $55.00 a course they are worth there weight in gold.

Work at home, on the internet & they offer everything from begining Front Page, to advanced HTML + a lot of the graphics programs like Illustrator 10, Paint Shop Pro etc.

Marturo

Old 09-09-02, 05:58 AM
P
peace

hello
it sounds as though all intentions were honorable and i'm thankful for the support i've received.
pete