virus hoax

Old 09-07-02, 11:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
virus hoax

I just got an email from my friend. Poor girl sent the same letter out to everyone in her address book, too. Its about a file that suppose to be a virus. Its actually some type of java script programming file. According to the site I went to we won't need that file unless we plan to do some J++ programming and there is a possibility that some java applets may not run correctly but thats it. Deleting it won't destroy your system.

I'm sure there will be mass deletions of this one file that is installed on your computer when you install Win9x and ME.

I deleted it before I went to research what it actually is. I feel foolish about it, but this virus scare stuff has gotten to me. I can't even remember the name of it, but it does have a bear as its icon when you search for it.

If anyone knows which file I'm speaking of, please post it so others won't freak out like I did and delete it.

Kay

Old 09-07-02, 01:22 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Hoax...

This from Symantec virus/hoax page. This particular hoax has been around for several years.

"This is a hoax that, like the SULFNBK.EXE Warning hoax, tries to persuade you to delete a legitimate Windows file from your computer. The file that the hoax refers to, Jdbgmgr.exe, is a Java Debugger Manager. It is a Microsoft file that is installed when you install Windows."

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...file.hoax.html

(Select, Copy and paste above link into your browser address bar, press enter.)

Old 09-07-02, 01:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 262 Upvotes on 213 Posts
Here's an other really good site for virus & hoax info. Don't feel bad about being "had"; I've been forwarded warnings (hoaxes) from lots of people (theoretically) more knowledgeable about computers than me.

http://www.stiller.com/hoaxes.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: