wireless networking

Old 09-08-02, 02:33 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry wireless networking

FRUSTRATED!
Does anyone have wireless network knowledge?
I have one computer using ME and another using XP.
Both are using D-Link-120d USB wireless adapters.

I somehow got it working for a few days, and then one day it wasn't. I then tinkered too much and ended up rebuilding the XP computer (thought if I made it ME that would solve some problems - but the computer had it's own ideas so it is back to an XP)

Not knowing what I originally did to get it working finally the first time - I am back at the stage where each wireless adapter is working. They just can't find each other.

(Let me state that I have each computer with the same network name but not the same computer name, and I have given each one an IP# in the same workgroup.)

I thought it was a channel conflict, but I can not for the life of me find the stupid channel setting in XP.

I am not a network person, I have a basic knowledge of computers - I don't care what the package says - it is not just plug-n-play!!!!

Anyone able to help??
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-02, 07:56 AM
K
kennymc55
Visiting Guest
wireless fun

are your trying to do a pier to pier ( computer 2 computer) connection? or are you using a wireless gateway or router?

Old 09-10-02, 05:43 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Four basic things to look at:
1. are your subnets the same
2. are both computers using netbios over TCPIP
3. do you have file and print sharing for Microsoft Networks loaded as a protcal on both machines
4. could a neighbor have the same or similar hub? The card connects to the closest wireless hub unless you do some serious work and encryption and connection settings.

Also, if your also connected to another network or to DSL or Cable you will have to deal with having one of your machines act as a router or you will need a router.

Old 09-10-02, 06:24 PM
B
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Encryption!

More important than anything get some software running that closes up your WIFI! WIFI can reach as far as 1000 yards giving anyone driving by access to your computer and internet connection. High speed laptops can rob half your hard drive data before you even realize they are there....