Help too many isp's, what's your choice?

Old 09-08-02, 02:43 PM
Help too many isp's, what's your choice?

Well now I am too confused, I have ameritech's isp, they are forcing a switch to "sbcyahoo" and I dont like the way the screen looks, it's like a nursery school. on d.i.y. people dont like aol. My repair tech says lots of luck with msn. What is a rookie to do? What is your choice for a simple looking isp/homepage? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-02, 05:37 PM
Such a tricky question. You want a host that has good connection speeds, few busy signals, and good support if needed. You will want to check with friends locally and see who is happy with what.

I used to use Mindspring before they were bought out by Earthlink. I chose them because of all the above and because they were voted #1 by somebody I forget who. Then along came Earthlink and bought them up. Earthlink went from a #2 ranking to #1.

I called them, found out there modem numbers, my username, and password and got online. I never used any of their software at all and used IE as a web browser. This is the way to go in my opinion because too many ISP's install too much memory clogging "assist" software!

If local people don't help, try opinion websites like www.epinions.com for assistance. I checked the "biggies" and Earthlink is still #1 by them. There are a couple that rank higher, but they only have a few reviews. They still have a database on Mindspring there too and they rank #2!
http://www.epinions.com/cmsw-ISP-All-earthlink/display_~reviews

Old 09-08-02, 07:22 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Satellite...

Contact a local computer repair shop, ask them who is local. We have at least three different “Local” ISP’s here in Springfield. Most of those will have connection for regular dialup and ISDN should you want to go that way. Is there no broadband where you are or if you live in the boonies you might think of satellite? Around $99 a month but with 600 channels of TV programming too. If I couldn’t get broadband (DSL/Cable) where I am I would have the satellite! I have seen it and it rocks! No cap up and about 2 Megs a second down. Cloudy days will have an effect but it would really have to be a heavy cloud to block this signal.

Old 09-08-02, 08:41 PM
Thanks to you two

I hope this goes out! Just finished setting up the sbcyahoo with three calls to the help desk. And now email wont accept passwords (that I never needed befor) I will check the shops and sites, a few people I work with gave suggestions but no local #'s for me. Use to have ehcostar (dish net work) but switched back to local basic cable did not need the extra channles, they did not have isp at the time. And no broad band yet here. Any way thanks for letting me vent.

Old 09-09-02, 12:57 PM
svt
Visiting Guest
the clearest homepage i know is" Google".
i too do,nt like my homepage provided by btopenworld(uk)
change your Homepage in win98 by selecting "internet options "and then "General".

Old 09-12-02, 07:08 PM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
bigzoo

bigzoo 6 dollars a month I get 45k speed Great!!!!! Easy to download I'm new to computers.

Last edited by Huxley; 09-12-02 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-23-02, 02:25 PM
Thanks, post closed-reopened

I just wanted to thank all of that helped me out. A moderator may have closed this postings, but after an e-mail was sent they reopened it for. I guess this was a gray area type question to ask, Therefore I wont say which one I picked as a isp. I am happy with it and it only cost me $16. amonth. So if this posting gets closed again I am glad I had the chance to say THANKS.