Compaq Computer

Old 09-09-02, 11:19 AM
craftjacks2
Visiting Guest
Compaq Computer

Looking for a quick fix I have a Compaq 533(I think) computer that is really slow sometimes in loading and also when playing my favorite game***SOLITAIRE. It's about 3 years old. Is there some easy things I can try to make it work faster? Sometimes the cursor will not move, or will jump when playing the solitaire game. Other times it will take all day to go to a different web sight. Can anyone help out there?I have AOL, if that's any help.
Thanks alot,
Bob

Old 09-09-02, 11:37 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Some regular maintenance (tuneup) that can be done now, and on a weekly basis would be to do a disk cleanup, and also to defragment your hard drive.

Also, you may need to disable some things that start up with your computer. If you go Start/Run then type in msconfig you can uncheck any of the programs under the startup tab that you don't want to load automatically. If you're not sure what something is, don't uncheck it . It won't kill your machine, but you may find that you have to go back and re-check it if it causes problems.

Adding memory is another plus to quicker loadups, and speed within games. However, the mouse acting up and super slow loads won't be affected too much by extra memory if your system is 'clogged' up with things you don't need (disk cleanup) and it has to search far and wide on the hard drive for information it needs (defragmenting).

Kay

Old 09-09-02, 11:59 AM
craftjacks2
Visiting Guest
Bogged Down Computer

Thanks alot for the quick response, Kay. I'll let you know if it helps.

Thanks again,
Bob

Old 09-09-02, 12:23 PM
T
Kaybyrd gave you some good advice. The only thing that I might add is that if you have a wheel type mouse the wheels that ride against the ball will get some debris on them and cause the cursor not to move properly. It happened on our computer a few times. If it is this type, just unscrew the cover and take out the ball and clean the wheels with a Q-tip or other means..... Good Luck.

Old 09-09-02, 07:16 PM
Compaq

Hi craftjacks2

What OS are you running? Also how much RAM do you have in your PC?

Do you know how to shut down some programs in your start menu that you don't need running at startup?

Marturo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: