WXP Boot Loop

Old 09-17-02, 08:21 AM
bud8man
Visiting Guest
Unhappy WXP Boot Loop

Help! One of my users came in this morning and his computer will not boot up.
It goes through the video card, you even see the XP logo for a few seconds, and then booting starts over.
We have turned it off during boot, tried safe mode, command prompt, I made an XP boot disk, which gets us a little further, but no logon screen.
I believe this machine was installing XP Service Pack over the weekend, and possibly there was a power failure in the middle (only a guess).
Thom

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-02, 09:22 AM
I've heard of several instances in which SP1 for XP made the system unusable. Unfortunately the only solution that seemed to work (unless you can use the XP boot disk and then go back to one of the restore points that XP has) would be to reload it.

Old 09-17-02, 10:50 AM
bud8man
Visiting Guest
Boot loop...any other ideas?

HELP!
My user did not back up their Outlook so they have 3 months worth of old messages and reminders.

Old 09-18-02, 02:17 PM
Take the hard drive out, copy all contents to another drive, then reinstall XP, and then transfer the messages. You could also try repairing XP, or use scanreg /restore .

Old 09-20-02, 11:21 AM
bud8man
Visiting Guest
Wink I think I got it...

I took a W95 boot disk and loaded the sytem with it.
I then was able to move about in dos to the file I wanted.
Unfortunatley I do not have access to the server, so I have to download a dos zip program so I can get this file on a few floppies.
Thom

Old 09-20-02, 12:58 PM
bud8man
Visiting Guest
Talking It worked!

Well, after starting up with a W95 startup disk, I could see the file, then I copied PKZIP into the folder where the .pst file was, and then did a span copy onto four floppies.
Once on the disks I moved it over to the server and imported it into the users new computer.
Now I am rebuilding the XP machine and will insist that the user back up his mailbox regularly.
Thom
P.S. is there some kind of script I could insert into the shut down in XP that would take a file and copy it to my server?