bad clusters

Old 09-17-02, 12:32 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
bad clusters

Why do I show bad clusters in "un-used clusters" of HD while running disk scan in DOS?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-02, 01:31 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow It could be... or it might be...

a failing drive -or- nothing to worry about. Not so many moons ago drives used come with error maps that had to be entered when the low level format was performed. Of course ST506 and RLL was king then too. To answer the question, the bad cluster probably appeared either during the last time the drive was formatted (the format program is designed to find bad sectors and mark them out) or could have been found by scandisk (the same thing happens). The big worry is whether this is the beginning of a trend. You need to watch the drive. Run scandisk regularly and watch to see if any other bad clusters show up. If not you'll _probably_ be ok. Note that probably is exactly that - probably. There are no guarantees. That said, I've got drives in more than one machine (both windows and linux) that have a couple of bad sectors and have performed reliably for quite some time - a couple of them for years. Where you need to be very concerned is in the event that you see more bad sectors popping up over time. That is a case where you had better act sooner rather than later to replace the drive if you value your data.

Old 09-17-02, 03:21 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
bad clusters

Thanks Stratocaster 7, now I have a better understanding of what is going on. Shame on me as I have not been faithful in running the scan as required. New HD is only a year old and have only used about 20% or less of it. Gotta try and do better. Thanks again.