Win98SE clashing with 3dfx

Old 09-17-02, 12:43 PM
menjii
Visiting Guest
Loaded program defaults, monitor won't work

Hi ya'll,
I have an L1K9R4 custom PC with 266mhz processor, 56KRAM, vt8501 Main Board, worked like a champ with a Voodoo3 card and 3dfx (usually not a Windows compatible program, but it was set up to work fine). While trying to remove some automatically downloaded webdialer programs I got into the BIOS and hit Load program defaults. This changed the BIOS and CHIPSET parameters. Now, just when Windows is supposed to open the monitor goes into sleep mode. I can get Safe mode and I get a message that the PCI Chipset can't be found. I'm sure that at the installation of the 3dfx, the BIOS was adjusted to accommodate it and not the Windows Soundblaster monitor program. Of course, I don't have a backup. Is there anyone out there who might have Win98SE and Voodoo 3 3500RV/3dfx and could share their setup (Bios and PCI Chipset are the only areas affected by what I did, so says the motherboard manual) so that 3dfx could work instead of the windows programs for the monitor. There's nothing in the manual for the monitor about this. It describes the "power down" or sleep mode, but that's all. The agp/pci option is set for agp, and the acpi function in Power management Setup is set on Disabled.

I went to DOS and restored the "before my mistake" registry but the monitor still goes to sleep.
Any body got any suggestions?
menjii

Last edited by menjii; 09-19-02 at 03:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-02, 08:24 AM
Mr. Kiss
You went and played in the BIOS without writing down the settings? You in DEEP doodoo now!

Boot the machine and write down the BIOS name and ver and I'll try to help you set it up again.
L

Old 09-20-02, 09:30 AM
menjii
Visiting Guest
Wellll, guess what....we got it to boot

Oh Mr Kiss,
Here's more in the saga. We took out the Voodoo card and put in the old Legacy video card from the shed shelf. She booted. No more sleep mode.
I found a website http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/bios/ with a most comprehensive (10 pages of how to set up the SETUP) for Voodoo 3 3500 TV. It even tells how to Flash one's BIOS. Since this one worked before I thkruud it up, we won't be upgrading this one except as a last resort.
I find the information "ROM PCI/ISA BIOS (2A5LHIA) by Award Software, Inc." on top of the page in SETUP. The motherboard is a VIA MVP4 Chipset AT Form Factor. This is my husband's computer I did this to, and now that the video is back and there won't be a divorce, I'm waiting till he gets home from work, so I can FIX IT SOME MORE with all this new info. I ran a system information history with Dx Diagnostic and I found all the settings for EVERYTHING all the way back to 1999 and when and how they've been changed since day 1. Am I on the right path?
You're mighty kind to answer with help. I'll keep up the posting so in case some one else needs any of this shade tree computer knowledge I'm gathering. It's clear I know just enough to be dangerous, if not lethal. Waiting to hear from you.
menjii

Old 09-20-02, 05:34 PM
Mr. Kiss
Menjii,
Sounds like you're certainly on the right track... just be extremely careful when playing in the BIOS, especially if you try to flash it.

You should be ale to put the FX card back in and boot to the BIOS at any rate.
Let me know what happens.
L

Old 09-22-02, 09:02 AM
Smile Must Flash ABIT KT7-A

Hi lgchristianson,

I have to flash the Bios ( ABIT KT7-A ) in order to allow the new 1.1 Duron I am getting in return from AMD, for my dead 1.1 Athlon.

There are no more 1.1 Athlons left at AMD, so we agreed to the Duron 1.1 as a replacement. My MOBO supports up to a 950 Duron & a 1.2 Athlon without the Bios flash.

Have never flashed a Bios & never planed to until now.

You said (especially if you try to flash it) this to menjii as a warning. Would you let us know what the dangers are, when flashing the Bios? Also how to improve your chances of sucess.
Thanks for the Info.

Marturo

Old 09-23-02, 03:40 AM
Mr. Kiss
Marturo,
When you download the updated BIOS from the MoBo website you'll need to get their flashing program also. Depending upon the mfg some are easier than others. Be sure to follow the instructions to the letter as any mistakes during the flash process can render your eeprom and computer useless.

If you have a chance to change your RMA order with AMD you should try to upgrade to a faster Athlon processor rather than going with the Duron. Normally the upraded flash will allow the faster chip to run on your MoBo.
Hope this helps,
Larry

Old 09-23-02, 08:30 AM
Smile My Mistake

Hi lgchristianson,

Thank you for your advice

lgchristianson, Said:
If you have a chance to change your RMA order with AMD you should try to upgrade to a faster Athlon processor rather than going with the Duron. Normally the upraded flash will allow the faster chip to run on your MoBo.

I bought a 1.1 Athlon witout getting the extra 1 year coverage, so with no where else to turn, I wrote AND & I guess this is why I use WD drives & AMD CPUs. Good people to work with.

I am very lucky to be getting anything at all, The man who handled the RMA was very nice. For 2 days he searched for an athlon 1.1 and all he found was the 750 Athlon so he suggested that I may want the 1.1 Duron.

At that time he did warn me I would have to flash the Bios. I believe he felt at least the 1.1 Duron was closer to the speed of what I had than a 750.

That's how I got here, so I will study the instructions on ABITs site, I believe I have seen the Program that you are speaking of, so will get their flashing program.

Once again thank You for your help, now with some luck & attention to detail, I may just get this KT7-A to Spring & upgrade to something more up to date

Marturo

Old 09-23-02, 09:17 AM
Mr. Kiss
Marturo,
Replacing your Athlon with a Duron of the same speed probably won't require a BIOS update, it might not hurt either as sometimes bugs have been eliminated so just take your time it should work out OK.
L

Old 09-23-02, 03:27 PM
Smile Standard CPU install without BIOS Flash..

Hello lgchristianson,

I can't say that I fully understand, however the concept is clear using the Duron1.1. So on CPU replacement, I will install & see how she goes. Worst case is no recognition of CPU. Correct?

Other than a few small hardware issues, one handled by ATI & of course the XP add on last, this has been a very well planned MOBO. That is for it's time frame, by Spring it will be just over 3 years old.

Since I check in on all hardware MFRs every 6 mos, all added hardware at the time of building, was compatable & now have up to date drivers. So other than one Bios upgrade for the 1.4 Duron 2nd flash I believe.

The rest seem unneeded by me even some USB issues, that I never had. I sent the CPU back on Mon & have no idea how long the process takes with AMD, I am now using orig, Duron 750.

Thanks Again, Marturo

Old 09-24-02, 04:32 AM
Mr. Kiss
Marturo,
Sounds like ya have everything in order.
Here's an article you might want to have a peek at.
Larry

http://www.motherboards.org/articles...ides/42_1.html

Old 09-24-02, 05:10 PM
Smile A good read, Thanks.

Hi Larry,

It sounds easy enough, although I know there is risk in anything we do. Studying the methods, will increase my odds of success.

I have not seen this MOBO + site & really enjoyed looking around, even filled out a feed back report on my use of the ABIT KT7A.

Only one question on the article. The writer states "Choose the latest BIOS update" Why would I need to go any futher than the upgrade, with the inclusion of the Duron 1.4 since I will not be using WIN XP on either of the 2 PCs?

Just thinking aloud, I can research this on the ABIT site & see what they say.

Thanks for the great link it will be used a lot.

Marturo

Old 09-25-02, 07:18 AM
Mr. Kiss
Marturo,
Basically they figure if you're going to flash the BIOS you might as well go for the newest ver. Sometimes there are very small bug or other fixes included in the newer BIOS, might as well cover them all.
Good Luck
Larry

Old 09-25-02, 08:59 AM
Thumbs up Good idea.

Will do.

Marturo