SMC Wireless Barricade Range Problem

Old 09-14-02, 10:00 AM
NJA
Visiting Guest
SMC Wireless Barricade Range Problem

Good Morning,
I recently purchased an SMC Wireless Barricade (Router) and a couple of wireless PC cards for other machines in my home. The range is not what I expected and not nearly in line with their specifications. Signal streangth and quality shows as poor to fair at best with the PCs being only 20 to 30 feet away from the barricade. The other PCs are in different bedrooms, but all are on the same floor. I know people that use Linksys that do not have this problem and are set up pretty much the same as mine. I called SMC support but got the standard Microwave, AC, Cordless phone appliances that are the culprit. I can't accept that becuase I turned off/unplugged these devices and still have poor reception. Would like to hear from other SMC Barricade owners as well as other wireless users. Thanks for your input.

Old 09-15-02, 07:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What's your house construction? Sometimes an all-steel frame will give pretty good RF shielding. That will reduce your effective range to half or less of the specs.

Old 09-16-02, 05:01 PM
NJA
Visiting Guest
It is a wood frame house, railroad rooms meaning one room leads to the other. I tried calling SMC tech support a couple of times but got frustrated and hung up after waiting for 1/2 hr or more. I am sending an e-mal though, and hope I get a response.

Old 09-16-02, 11:03 PM
Groves
Visiting Guest
Range Is Overestimated (Suggestions)

I have a D-Link Wireless Router and there's some fine print that applies to all wireless devices. The range is listed at 300' (about 100m) but that varies based on the obstacles between the wireless device and access point. Walls are an obstacle that is often overlooked. If you are in a straight-line with the access point, your signal should be strong. However, when you alter the angle at which the signal passes through a wall, regarldless of the material, your strength will degrade considerably. This is because that wall appears far thicker at an angle. (A 0.5m wall at 45 degrees appears 1m thick. At 2 degrees, it appears over 14m thick!)

Here's some suggestions:
- Move the device or access point to create a straighter path for the signal.
- Add an antenna/booster to the device or access point. There are various tpyes available, depending on your model. Also, be sure to use available encryption/security. Making your access point available to your devices also makes it available to others.
- Add an additional access point. While this is the most cumbersome, a properly configured access point will allow seamless roaming.

Hope this helps.
Groves

Old 09-17-02, 06:53 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Range will depend on many things. Walls are one thing, and the construction of the wall is even more important. So is the location of the router, or the computer. If the computer is in a corner and the antena is stuck behind the computer there'll be a lot of interference. The direction of the antena is also important. And when they say 300' they usually mean in a big office (with cubicles, not walls, and the router is probably up on a shelf so there's basically almost no interference. I always recommend that customer only use wireless if they absolutely have to (roaming laptops, or a wired connection is impossible to run).

Old 09-18-02, 12:48 PM
NJA
Visiting Guest
I appreciate the tips. This is a really good forumn -- for anything. I plan on looking into a booster, and point noted on encryption. Thanks again all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: