Computer crashs

Old 09-18-02, 10:55 PM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Question Computer crashs

I have a 200 MHz Dell computer that gives me two situations:
(1) Every once and awhile the computer just 'quits' responding and I'll have to turn it off and start over.
(2) At least once a day ( and sometimes 2 or 3 times) the screen will suddenly just go completely black and it will restart itself in the scandisc program.

Are both of these conditions known as (computer crashes)?

What if anything can I do to correct these problems?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-02, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Really need more info here, like O/S, memory, free disk space etc. But if I had to guess - which I often do - I would go for an intermittent power supply problem, followed by perhaps memory.

Old 09-19-02, 04:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what operating system?

As for the "quits responding" problem: Windows 98 (and I imagine windows 95 also) has a reputation for needing a reformat/reinstall every couple of years depending on how often/much it is used. The registry (and I don't know what else) fills up/gets corrupted and needs refreshed. You can buy some time by reloading the o/s but at some point you need to start from scratch. Yes, it can be a pain.

Other possibilities: A nearly full hard drive and/or a badly fragmented hard drive makes swapping a tedious process. You may also have a lot of background stuff running - yes, stuff is a technical term :-).

When was the last defrag? How full is your hard drive?