floppies to a cd

Old 09-22-02, 10:35 AM
floppies to a cd

hello
i know you can buy a burner to transfer floppies to a cd-i want to do that with pix of my grand daughter and am curious to know if this must be done with a pc or can you buy a device that by- passes the need for one? i think this would be an easier way for us to view the album than changing floppies frequently.
any inexpensive methods would be appreciated.
thank you
pete

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-02, 01:05 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
You need a PC with a CDRW drive to create the CD,
but you can get standalone DVD players with JPEG reading capabilities.

Old 09-22-02, 07:23 PM
What kind of a digital camera are you using? Most will let you load you pictures directly to the hard drive. But if you want to pass them along it would be best to use a CDRW drive. You can get them starting at $50. Also Sony makes a digital camera that burns pictures directly to CDs but that is expensive.

Old 09-23-02, 06:28 AM
understand

hi guys
thanx for your replies.
i get alot of pix of my grand daughter sent to me from my son in law and like to save them but not in the pc as they take up a lot of room that is why i asked the question. usually i put about 3 pix on a floppy and was, as i said, just looking for an easier way to view them .
maybe a burner will be a consideration for Christmas. i have to read to make sure my hp paviliion 6630 can handle one. i wonder if getting an hp burner is wise to maintain compatibility?
anyway, thanx again.
pete

Old 09-23-02, 08:20 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Brand doesn't matter. What your computer is doesn't really matter, just as long as you have an IDE connector available.

Old 09-23-02, 09:11 AM
USB connectivity ...

If your old computer has an available USB port then purchase a USB burner. That way, you don't have to mess around inside the pc and you can easily hook it up to the new pc if and when you get a new one.

I put a burner inside our old pc. I wish I had gotten a USB burner instead. I bought a new USB burner this summer so we can use it on the new PC and my daughters laptop.

A USB burner will cost a little more but they are worth it. They are quality burners.

If you don't have an available USB port, then get a USB hub.

There is software available that will burn the pics in mpeg2 format. Many DVD players can play mpeg2, so you can view the pix on your TV.

Old 09-23-02, 10:35 AM
Pete,
If space is your only issue why not just get a second hard drive or a bigger one. Get a 40gig drive and you can put all the photos you want on it.

Old 09-23-02, 04:10 PM
usb hub

hi all you nice pc folks-gee, i'm overwhelmed 'w' help. i'm not as savvy as alot of you but the idea of USB catches my eye as it has made life easier in the past. my ports are consumed with a scanner and a printer and each seems to be a different shape and just for that purpose.
THE USB HUB, now is that something like a cable tv splitter where you can get two usb ports out of one? if so isn't the shape specific to the device you are using?
look forward to your imput.
thanx again
pete

Old 09-23-02, 10:53 PM
egiblock
Visiting Guest
yes, the USB hub will have 1 connector on the one side to plug into the computer, and on the other side, you'll have 2,3,4+ connectors to plug in other devices into..

USB cdrw drives are usually more expensive than the internal drives, and slower.

i would suggest getting an internal CDRW drive and just burning the images onto cd's with that.

hope this helps..

Old 09-24-02, 04:03 AM
USB ports are all the same...

A USB port is a USB port. They are all the same size and shape.

I disagree on the comment that USB CD-RW drives are slower. Their speeds are comparable to all but the latest and most expensive internal drives. My USB drive is extremely fast.

Regardless, thats not an issue for most people. The fastest units out there are still slowed by the media. Some brands of CDs are limited to 4, 8, or 12x write speeds anyway no matter how fast your unit is.

A USB unit does cost more, but there are trade-offs. You don't have to open your machine up - just plug and play.

Mrhoadar - back-up is an important issue, too. I'd hate to lose hundreds of pics because my hard drive failed.

Old 09-24-02, 08:24 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
USB comes in two sexes, the "A", which has the 4 terminals in a row, is what is on the computer, and the "B" sex, which has
the 4 terminals in a square, is what is on most USB devices with removable cables.

USB comes in 2 varieties, 1.1 and 2.0.
Most computers come with USB 1.1 only, and with that,
an external CDRW drive capabilities top out at 4x. USB2.0
and Firewire CDRW drives can compete with internal drives.

Old 09-24-02, 03:40 PM
solved

you all certainly know your stuff; it gives me a complex but also helps me learn.
for now i am going to keep my pix on the hard drive(10.2 gb) to view and they are all backed up on the floppies i created when i rec'd them.
besides the grand baby's piggy bank i'll throw a coin now and then in a jar and if i live long enough i'll get a new 'package deal' burner capability and all.
thanx again for all the advice and no squabbling in the meantime, please.
pete

Old 09-25-02, 12:49 PM
don't be intimidated by burners...You can get one for $50 now. If your pics are taking up a lot of space, just convert them into jpegs if they are not already, or you can resize them. Normally you should get a lot more than 3 pics on floppy.. You could also consider a digital frame.....it is just that, a picture frame that shows digital pictures, and changes them every so often, etc

Old 09-25-02, 03:33 PM
jpg

hi
yes, they are jpg and thanx again for the information. i'm still studying.
pete