Overclocking....how to change Multiplier?

Old 09-24-02, 11:44 PM
scott.T.
Visiting Guest
Overclocking....how to change Multiplier?

Hi, I'm overclocking a amd k6-2 380mhz...I would like to know how to change the multiplier from 4x to maybe 4.5x or even 5x.....just to see how fast I can get this chip to run...I have big cooling fans just waiting to go inside and try to keep the hotty cool......

at the moment its 4x and 100mhz front side bus..which equals 400mhz..

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-02, 10:39 AM
Jacque Schidt
Visiting Guest
In order to get an answer for this question, you need to know what motherboard (main board) you have. Once you know that information, the mother board manufacturer will have a manual you can download to show you the settings.

If you are unable to ascertain which board you have, try here: http://www.motherboards.org/

The links at the bottom of the portal will help you figure out which board is yours.

Old 09-25-02, 05:08 PM
You change the muliplier in the BIOS. Reboot your computer and hit delete about 900 times while it is booting up. This will get you into your BIOS. Most overclockers I know play with these settings until it starts acting funny and then back off one notch. Your manual, like the other poster said, can assist as well as the numerous overclocking sites on the Internet. Do a google search for overclock and you should find all the help you need.

Old 09-28-02, 11:21 PM
scott.T.
Visiting Guest
humm.....I tried to get into the bios..and it didn't work....the computer is a compaq presario...about 3 or 4 years old with windows 98......when turn it on and hit delete many times,,,,even hold down a keyboard button...still nothing...the compaq comes up then windows98 starts loading...I even downloaded this program to find out motherboard ID..and it didn't give one...?

Old 09-29-02, 04:49 AM
Jacque Schidt
Visiting Guest
Different manufactuers use different keystrokes or series of keystrokes to enter BIOS. As your computer is first booting up, it should tell you "Hit F1" to enter BIOS. (Or something to that effect.) If you have a splash screen, hit "Esc" to close the flash screen and see what you need to do to enter BIOS.

Having said that, some manufacturers give you partial control of the clock settings in BIOS, while others do it on the motherboard jumper settings. A few manufacturers (like Emachine) do not want you reclocking so leave no information anywhere about how to reclock. So, one of the overclocking sites may be your best bet.

Old 10-04-02, 07:48 PM
To enetr bios on a Compaq, use the F10 key. There are NO settings in the BIOS that will allow you to modify the multiplier or FSB speeds. You may be able to do it via jumpers on the motherboard.

Old 10-04-02, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Wallpaper
You change the muliplier in the BIOS.
Not to be rude, but how can you say this before knowing what make or model of motherboard he has? Not all motherboards have this option, it depends on it's age mostly.

Old 10-05-02, 06:15 AM
BSB
And some MOBO's need to be physicaly modified like some ASUS mb's (not for the faint of heart or shallow of pocket)

Word of advice to any looking to over-clock their cpu's. "RESEARCH. RESEARCH.RESEARCH" Do a search for overclocking with your MOBO, Check out the overclocking info at toms hardware and anandtech. (www.tomshardware.com, www.anandtech.com) read what you can find on over clocking forums.

It seems cut and dry, adjust the multiplier, but you also need to know what Vcore voltage to set, how high you can saftly go, how to set the voltage if the option is not availible on mobo or in cmos. Do you have to add a resistor to the mobo, do you need to unlock the the chip, etc? Is the current cooling configuration good enough to keep the over-clocked, higher voltage, hotter cpu cool enough to remain stable under 100% load?

Grab a copy of SisSandra and check your current cpu temp if its above 40C (at idle) replace heatsink and fan (s), cpu temp will raise a few deg under load.

For example when in WI last week upgraded my pa-inlaws p3-450 to athlon 950. the stock hs/fan setup was junk (always is, is best used as boat anchore for r/c sailboat) With covers off and idle temp was 43C, put covers on and shot up to 48C, (54C under 100% load) system crash. Told him to get a new H/S (a good one with some copper in it, or atleast better then what he got) So he goes to best buy and the residential "expert" *cough* moron *cough* tells him its not a heat sink issue and only needs one little itty bitty case fan and will solve all his problems. So now he has a cpu temp of 46C at idle and 100% load temp of 51C stable for all of 45-60 min.

I think I will start charging an info fee when someone asks me what they need to upgrade their system and maybe will listen a little better instead of taking the word of a sales rep as gospel.

If you do some looking you will find that most hardware reveiwers do not like to see a cpu temp above 38C under load (and thats with an ambient temp of 75f, case covers on, etc.) I grab the artic silver and start lapping the HS if I see a temp over 40C.

Dang that turned out kinda long, sorry.

Brian