history files

Old 09-18-02, 07:00 AM
BETTY CHAPMAN
Visiting Guest
history files

I have two computers windows 98 & windows XP. I want to recover and view some of my old emails and messenger chats on both computers. Can I do this and if so how? Then how can I remove all my information & personal files so I can give my older computer away.

Old 09-18-02, 07:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The only way to remove the old info is to reformat the hard drive.

Old 09-18-02, 09:11 AM
BETTY CHAPMAN
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the information. Can I access my old emails and messages or not? If so how? Please give instructions.

Old 09-19-02, 02:11 AM
S
what email program are you using? netscape saves emails in sbd or snm files(forgot which just copy your profile folder)... outlook uses pst and ost files...

Old 09-23-02, 10:59 PM
egiblock
Visiting Guest
is the email on the machine runnign windoiws 98 or XP. also, what email program are/were you using to read the email before..

Old 10-07-02, 04:32 PM
BETTY CHAPMAN
Visiting Guest
I use Windows XP. Mail is msn and outlook express. I have deleted mail and emptied the recycle bin. Can I still retrieve a letter I meant to save?

Old 10-07-02, 05:24 PM
If you have deleted mail your ISP MAY be able to restore from backup. Of course they will charge you for it.

Old 10-08-02, 06:53 AM
T
Most ISPs will only keep a very limited backup... usually a week or so. Some don't keep anything for longer then a couple of days. If all you have is text messages you could setup your Outlook so it will leave a copy of the email on the server, but that only works if you don't receive too many emails, or you have a very large email account.

Old 10-08-02, 09:48 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool ERD...

You can look in the "Sent Mail" folder. There may be mail you have sent in there as well as forwarded messages but only if you have it setup to do so. If you have not rebooted since you deleted you may be able to recover some of your mail but not likely. In addition, the only way to remove files from you system so someone with the right software cannot recover deleted mail is to format. There are a couple of programs out here that overwrite the deleted files several times effectively deleting the files from recovery. System Mechanic has one called "Incinerator,” another one out here called "Eraser.” They overwrite the deleted files with Ø and one’s to delete the files. I have a program that cost about $600 that I can access your drive even if its password locked. I use it often to repair people’s computers that have forgotten their passwords or the kids set one etc. Some of you may have heard of it, ERD Commander. This program gives full access to ANY system no matter how it is configured.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: